Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Auckland consents down second month in a row

Auckland consents down second month in a row

National’s housing policy is in disarray with building consents in Auckland falling two months in a row, says Labour’s housing spokesperson Phil Twyford.

“Statistics New Zealand’s latest building consent figures show consents in Auckland are down for the second month in a row with 553 in June which is down from 611 in May, and 697 in April.

“This means in the first nine months of the Government’s housing accord just 5,278 houses have been consented. At this rate they will finish 2000 short of their target of 9000 houses consented in the first year of the accord.

“Auckland Council estimated the Government would consent 9,000 homes in 2014 anyway before most of the special housing areas were announced.

“This is an unambitious target but the Government can’t even meet that. Auckland needs 13,000 homes per year to meet demand and make up for the shortfall in consents under this Government.

“In spite of Housing Minister Nick Smith’s frantic efforts to make it look like he is doing something about the housing crisis, the Auckland Housing Accord is pretty much all he has got. And 14 months after he announced it, he hasn’t built a single new house in the Special Housing Areas.

“These consent figures demonstrate yet again the ongoing failure of the Government’s attempts to fix a broken housing market by doing nothing more than tweaking the planning rules.

“Labour has a positive vision for housing which will see us build 100,000 affordable homes, put first home buyers ahead of speculators with a Capital Gains Tax and restrictions on non-resident buyers, and a National Policy Statement under the RMA that will give Councils strong direction to increase the supply of new housing,” says Phil Twyford.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Mt Eden Prison: Serco Inquiry Extended

A two month delay to the Government investigation into prison fight clubs shows the extent of problems within the Serco circus, says Labour’s Corrections spokesperson Kelvin Davis. More>>

ALSO:

Health And Safety: Late Addition Of National Security Provisions A Concern

The New Zealand Law Society has expressed its significant concerns at the last-minute addition to the Health and Safety Reform Bill of provisions for a closed material procedure for court proceedings where national security is involved. More>>

ALSO:

Rugby And Beer: World Cup Alcohol Bill Passes

ACT MP David Seymour’s Sale and Supply of Alcohol (Extended licensing hours during Rugby World Cup) Bill completed its third reading by 99 to 21... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Flag Campaign

So far, the public has treated the government’s flag campaign with something between disinterest and disdain. Most New Zealanders have instinctively seen through the marketing hype involved. More>>

Change For 2017: Local Govt To Decide On Easter Sunday Trading

The Government is to enable local communities, through councils, to decide whether retailers can open on Easter Sunday, Workplace Relations and Safety Minister Michael Woodhouse announced. More>>

ALSO:

(And Targets Worse Than Australia's): Foresters Abandoning Emissions Trading Scheme

The Government’s gutting of the Emissions Trading Scheme has caused foresters to leave and emissions to rise, says Labour’s Climate Change spokesperson Megan Woods. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news