Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Poisons Centre 50 years; celebration or wake?

David
CLARK

Associate Health Spokesperson


31 July 2014 MEDIA STATEMENT
Poisons Centre 50 years; celebration or wake?

The Government’s plan to roll a number of helpline services together looks set to proceed with disastrous consequences, Labour’s Associate Health Spokesperson David Clark says.

Latest reports suggest Australian company Medibank is the most likely provider.

“If Medibank wins the contract to supply helpline services, the 0800 Poison Helpline is likely to be put on life support. Its 50th anniversary in December may well turn into a wake.

“Medibank has indicated to existing providers that it intends to cherry-pick the easy helpline calls and refer the more difficult calls - or those from paramedics, ambulance officers and emergency departments - on to the National Poisons Centre.

“That will mean a dramatic reduction in the number of calls fielded by the National Poisons Centre and a reduction in staff numbers.

“A loss of staff will compromise the integrity of the National Poisons database since currently the same experts who update that are the ones who field the calls.

“If the database is not maintained to its present standard, it will become an unviable proposition.

“Otago University currently provides a heavy subsidy to the National Poisons Centre. It is hard to imagine them carrying more cost to support a lower quality model with the risks that represents.

“If the Government doesn’t intervene to remove the Poisons line from the amalgamation, we may end up with both a diminished service and higher costs.

“Every New Zealander has the right to expect timely health advice in an emergency.

“It is best practice to have a stand-alone service and New Zealand would be unique in the western world in doing away with a stand-alone service,” David Clark said.

Petition to save the helpline: http://action.labour.org.nz/savethepoisonshelpline#top


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial To Be Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together tomorrow to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial.

The Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial Dedication and Civic Memorial Service starts at 12 noon tomorrow, February 22, at the Memorial site on the Ōtākaro/Avon River, in the area bordered by the Montreal Street Bridge, Durham Street, and Cambridge and Oxford Terraces. More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news