Post-Cabinet Presser: Audio/Video with John Key, Anne Tolley
Post Cabinet Press Conference with Prime
Minister John Key and Anne Tolley
Monday 4th August
At today’s Post-Cabinet press conference, the Minister of Police and Corrections, Anne Tolley, joined Prime Minister John Key to discuss potential new measures to limit gang crime.
The Prime Minister outlined a four-measure program aimed at higher gang surveillance but also on gang rehabilitation and social services available to those in gangs.
The four-measure program outlined:
1. A multi-agency Gang Intelligence Centre led by Police.
2. Refocus of existing social services with specific regard to breaking the cycle of gang life
3. Task forces dedicated to border protection, both international and domestic to restrict drug trafficking and also to target the profits received from crime.
4. Strengthening of legislation regarding GPS monitoring of high risk gang-affiliates who have been released from prison.
Some discussion points included:
• Possibility of drug dogs in
domestic airports and ferry terminals
• Human rights issues involved with singling out gang members for surveillance
• Foreign ownership of New Zealand land
• Questions regarding worsening situation in Gaza
The whole parliamentary press release is available