Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


PM’s Denial at Odds with National Party Statement

Prime Minister’s Denial at Odds with National Party Statement

Labour’s New Zealand Council has today released an email from the General Manager of the National Party that directly contradicts recent statements from the Prime Minister in relation to the 2011 breaches of Labour Party website databases.
In his stand-up on August 14th 2014, the Prime Minister denied a number of times that the National Party was involved in the removal of data on Labour members and donors in 2011. This Thursday he said:

"What I know is for a simple fact all that stuff around the Labour Party was done by Cameron Slater and it wasn't from the National Party."

http://www.3news.co.nz/Labour-considers-Dirty-Politics-options/tabid/1607/articleID/356862/Default.aspx

Following the 2011 breach the Labour Party had proof that material had been downloaded to a National Party site. Labour wrote to the National Party asking them to confirm that they would not breach the private nature of the material. Greg Hamilton, General Manager of the National Party, responded on June 13th 2011 in part as follows:

“We do accept that one of our staff visited your public website via http://healthyhomeshealthykiwis.org.nz and read files that were publicly available. It appears that he downloaded a file named Labour Newsletter and several compressed files with the view of reading later. In fact the compressed files remain un-opened”.

Moira Coatsworth, Labour Party President, said today:

“These two statements are directly at odds. The public is entitled to clarification from the Prime Minister on two important questions:

1. Does the Prime Minister now accept the National Party was involved?
2. Is the Prime Minister asserting that Jason Ede, at all material times a staff member in his office, was not involved?”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news