Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

School-entry for over fives – feedback sought

Hon Chris Hipkins
Minister of Education

8 February 2017 MEDIA STATEMENT
School-entry for over fives – feedback sought

Parents, whānau, teachers and education experts are invited to have their say on options for grouped (cohort) entry into schools for children aged five and over, Education Minister Chris Hipkinssaid today.

“This government supports schools having the option of coordinating new starters in a group, or cohort, for their convenience and the benefit of their students – but we agree with the overwhelming advice of education experts that the age at which children start school should be five or over,” Mr Hipkins said.

“Therefore, we do not support the changes made last year by the previous government that allowed children to start school before they turn five, and we are proposing to remove that option.

“There was no evidence to support it and many submitters expressed concern at the time, but were ignored.

“The evidence is overwhelming that young kids are better off playing and learning outside a structured school environment, and even at age five, New Zealand already allows children to start school earlier than many other countries,

“The Ministry of Education is today starting consultation on two options, which will guide a change to the Education Act later this year so that schools wanting to offer grouped entry can only do so for children after they turn five.”

The options are:

• Grouped (cohort) entry once per term, at the start of the term;
• Grouped (cohort) entry twice per term, at the start of the term and at the term mid-point.

The Ministry of Education is also interested in hearing whether submitters think that schools should have the ability to choose between either of these options if they choose to introduce grouped entry.

Schools will also be able to continue with continuous entry if they chose to.

Mr Hipkins said so far just under 50 schools have adopted a grouped entry policy that allows them to start new entrants before their fifth birthday.

These schools would still be able to continue with this policy until the legislation is changed, when they would need to consult with their communities to decide whether to adopt the new model of cohort entry or whether to return to continuous entry.

The Ministry of Education will run the consultation from today until Monday 19 March. Anyone interested in taking part can make a submission, details are available at www.education.govt.nz/consultation-on-options-for-cohort-entry


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year...

Auckland Action Against Poverty is calling on the Government to increase baseline benefits to stop record numbers of people requiring hardship assistance to meet the basic costs of living. More>>

 

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Tuesday, Wednesday

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels