Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Australia's NZ Steel continues campaign against imports

Australia's NZ Steel continues campaign against Chinese imports with third dumping complaint

By Paul McBeth

April 11 (BusinessDesk) - Australian-owned New Zealand Steel is persisting with its campaign to secure greater protection from Chinese imports, lodging its third complaint that dumped foreign-produced goods are undercutting local manufacturers.

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment has started two new investigations into Chinese and Malaysian steel products, the third such probe triggered by BlueScope Steel subsidiary NZ Steel since it first sought an inquiry in 2016. MBIE general manager science, innovation and international Peter Crabtree this week signed off on separate investigations into allegations of Chinese subsidies on certain hollow steel products and claimed dumping of Chinese and Malaysian imports, according to notices published on the New Zealand government's Gazette yesterday.

The ministry has previously rejected NZ Steel's requests to impose duties and other measures on imported galvanised steel coils and steel reinforcing bar and coil from China and Malaysia, finding Chinese government subsidies were too small to hurt domestic producers and that exports from those Asian nations were being dumped locally.

MBIE again agreed there was enough information provided by NZ Steel in its Dec. 6 application warranting an investigation into the new steel product range, noting "significant increase" in the volume of Chinese and Malaysian imports with some undercutting that squeezed the local producer's sales and margins.

However, MBIE said the local producer hadn't faced a "significant decline in market share" that could be put down to dumped or subsidised goods. NZ Steel didn't consider it had suffered reduced capacity or detriments to inventories, employment and wages, or provided evidence of an impact on growth or its ability to raise capital.

NZ Steel estimates Chinese products were dumped at 37.9 percent of the export price in the 2017June quarter and Malaysian products at 50.4 percent in the December quarter.

"NZ Steel considers that the primary factor affecting domestic prices is the price of the unfairly traded imports from China (and Malaysia), which undercut NZ Steel prices, causing price depression and price suppression," the report said. "NZ Steel notes that China and Malaysia have collectively about a 75 percent share of imports, with the next largest share being from Australia" which has "significantly higher" prices than the Asian nations.

On Chinese subsidies, MBIE said "the application largely repeats claims relating to subsidy programmes that have been the subject of previous applications considered and investigated by MBIE," but accepted "there is evidence beyond a mere assertion and of a nature and extent that indicates a likelihood of the existence of subsidisation affecting the subject goods."

NZ Steel's latest application has support from Kiwi-owned Industrial Tube Manufacturing, and New Zealand Tube Mills, owned by Amari Metals. The three firms collectively account for a quarter of New Zealand production of the hollow steel products.

Chinese steel exports have been a bone of contention around the world as US and European producers accused the Asian nation's subsidies and overproduction of undercutting their local industries, and US President Donald Trump imposed new tariffs on steel imports last month as part of his more protectionist trade policy.

NZ Steel has disagreed with MBIE's findings in earlier investigations and has so far asked the High Court for a judicial review of the first rejection.

(BusinessDesk)

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

State Highways: $1.4 Billion For Road Safety Improvements

The Safe Network Programme will make 870 kilometres of high volume, high-risk State Highways safer by 2021 with improvements like median and side barriers, rumble strips, and shoulder widening. More>>

ALSO:

Dealing Crackdown, Addiction Support: Government Action On Synthetics

The NZ Drug Foundation has welcomed the Government’s response to synthetic drug deaths. The response strikes a balance between giving law enforcement the tools they need to target criminal networks and changing drug law to make it easier for people to access help when they need it. More>>

ALSO:

Strategy Committee Unanimous: Wellington To Forge Ahead With Convention Centre

The three-storey Cable Street building, with around 18,000-square metres of floor space, will comfortably be able to host 1500 people for conventions. It includes a 1651sq m exhibition area that will attract international exhibitions too big for nearby Te Papa and provide an always-changing visitor attraction. More>>

ALSO:

Surveying The Surveillance: First IGIS Review Of Warrants Under New Act

The report sets out the Inspector-General’s interpretation of the new warrant provisions under the ISA and her expectations of the GCSB and NZSIS when they prepare warrant applications. More>>

SSC: 2018 Public Service Workforce Data Published

State Services Commissioner Peter Hughes has published the 2018 Our People, Public Service Workforce Data , which shows the Public Service is making significant progress in important areas. More>>

ALSO:

Sinking Cap: Auctions, Permanent Forests, Added To ETS

The move to auctions, signalled in an August consultation paper, will help put a cap on the number of emission units available over time. Annual announcements, looking forward five years, will help provide certainty for scheme participants, she said. More>>

ALSO:

Joint Select Committee Report: Achieving Smokefree 2025

In a historic first for select committees, the Māori Affairs Committee and the Health Committee presented their joint report on achieving the Smokefree 2025 goal to the House on Tuesday, 11 December 2018. More>>

"Shared Interests And Democratic Values": Peters To Visit USA

Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters will travel to Washington D.C. for talks with US Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo and other senior members of the US Administration. More>>

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels