Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

More Kiwis getting emergency message

Hon Kris Faafoi

Minister of Civil Defence
4 January 2019

PĀNUI PĀPĀHO

MEDIA STATEMENT


More Kiwis getting emergency message

Almost twice as many people received the test Civil Defence emergency alert to their mobile phone at its last test – meaning more New Zealanders than ever are capable of getting a heads-up in an emergency.

Minister of Civil Defence Hon Kris Faafoi says six out of 10 Kiwis (60 percent) received the test alert, a sharp increase on last year’s figure of 34 percent. The reach rises to seven out of every ten (69 percent) receiving the alert when it includes people who didn’t receive the alert themselves but were near somebody who did.

“New Zealanders can take comfort in how quickly the system has consolidated itself as a critical alerting channel,” Kris Faafoi says. “Emergency Mobile Alerts can now be received by most mobile phones sold in New Zealand, including models costing as little as $29. This means more Kiwis can be warned via their phone about potentially life-threatening emergencies.

“We know from international experience that once you hit about 70 percent penetration, a critical mass is achieved in which you generate word of mouth that quickly spreads to just about everyone. We expected it to take about three years to reach that figure, so I am pleased we’re on track to exceed that because it is another step to keeping people safe.

Kris Faafoi says that other vital emergency information channels – such as radio, TV, online and social media – mean New Zealand has robust arrangements for informing people about emergencies.

“The more people who can receive warnings, whether through more traditional means or these alerts, the safer we all are.”

The Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management is working with manufacturers and vendors to address some of the issues with how different handsets behave.

”We’re really grateful to 2degrees, Spark and Vodafone, who partnered with the Government to deliver the project. Without them throwing their weight behind this system, we wouldn’t be seeing such strong pickup.”

Note to editors

The Emergency Mobile Alert is an additional channel to help keep New Zealand safe in an emergency and does not replace other alerting systems and information channels, or the need to take action after natural warnings.

If you feel your life may be in danger, don’t wait for an official warning. Take immediate action. For example in local source tsunami, there may not be time to send an alert before the first waves strike. Recognise the natural warnings and get safe – ‘Long or Strong, Get Gone’.

Emergency Mobile Alert messages can only be sent by the Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management, Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups, NZ Police, Fire and Emergency New Zealand, the Ministry of Health and the Ministry for Primary Industries.

More information on Emergency Mobile Alert is available here.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year...

Auckland Action Against Poverty is calling on the Government to increase baseline benefits to stop record numbers of people requiring hardship assistance to meet the basic costs of living. More>>

 

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Tuesday, Wednesday

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels