Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

DHBs on notice over financial performance


Health Minister David Clark says District Health Boards are on notice to improve their financial performance and demonstrate they have a plan to return to financial sustainability.

The Ministry of Health has today released monthly financial reports which show almost all DHBs are expecting to end the current financial year in the red, with a potential budgeted year-end deficit for all DHBs of around $346 million.

David Clark says the forecasts are disappointing, but not altogether unexpected.

“Our public health service was chronically underfunded by the previous Government. For nine years DHBs were financially squeezed and staff were put under huge pressure.

“I’m advised the major driver of DHB deficits is increased staff costs, including the hiring of an additional 2,667 full time equivalent staff in the first half of 2018/19 (at a cost of around $126 million). That includes 440 extra medical staff, 1,271 more nurses and 303 allied health workers.

“In our first Budget we invested $2.2 billion more in DHBs over four years – the biggest increase in operational funding in the last decade. Another $750 million was put into capital works in Health. However, we always knew that it would take more than one Budget to address the legacy of underfunding.



“This Government will continue to invest more in Health so that DHBs can continue to deliver the quality services that the public expect and deserve. But DHBs must also spend every health dollar wisely.

“It is clearly challenging for DHBs to improve their financial position while at the same time introducing new ways of working that will improve access to services. Some DHBs are managing that transition better than others.

“At the end of last year I wrote to all DHB chairs expressing my disappointment with their collective financial performance. It is not acceptable to see some DHBs forecasting deficits to continue for years to come.

“In that letter I made it clear I am monitoring the performance of all DHBs closely and will consider a range of options to improve performance if necessary, including changes to the membership of boards. I also raised these matters directly with Board chairs and Chief Executives last week.

“The Government is managing significant cost demands after nine years of underfunding across the board, but we are prudently managing the books and running a surplus. We expect DHBs to display the same sort of financial discipline,” David Clark says.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Mosque Attack: No Mention Of Right-Wing Threat In 10 Years Of GCSB/SIS Docs


Jane Patterson for RNZ: There is not one specific mention of the threat posed by white supremacists or right-wing nationalism in 10 years of public documents from the Security Intelligence Service or the GCSB. More>>

Two Minute Silence Friday: Auckland Mosques Opening Their Doors To All
Mosques in the four corners of Auckland will open their doors on Friday night for people of all faiths to gather in remembrance of the 50 lives lost in the Christchurch shootings. More>>

Parliament's Condolences: PM's Statement On Christchurch Mosques Terror Attack
Al salam Alaikum. Peace be upon you. And peace be upon all of us.
Mr Speaker the 15th of March will now forever be a day etched in our collective memories... More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Why The Government Shouldn't Run The Christchurch Massacre Inquiry
At Cabinet yesterday, the promised changes to our gun laws cleared their first hurdle. According to PM Jacinda Ardern, Cabinet agreed collectively “in principle” on a set of proposals to change New Zealand’s gun laws... Yesterday, Ardern also announced an inquiry into the background to the mosque attacks and into the role played by the SIS, GCSB, Police, Customs, and Immigration. More>>

SCOOP COVERAGE: CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUES TERROR ATTACK
For the Latest: Scoop Search - Christchurch
 

Gordon Campbell: On The School Climate Strike

Locally, the school strike has won a ton of support for bringing climate change to the fore. Yet the strikers don't want mere expressions of support. They want action. More>>

ALSO:

"Grabbed And Struck In The Face": Greens Co-Leader Attacked While Walking To Work

Green Party co-leader James Shaw was the victim of an unprovoked attack when he was walking to work in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

████████ ████ ███: Latest OIA Statistics Released

The latest statistics cover 110 agencies that collectively completed 18,106 official information requests between July and December 2018, a 16.4% increase on the 15,551 requests for the previous six months. More>>

ALSO:

'Hit And Run' Inquiry: New Legal Action Over Secrecy

The lawyer representing the Afghan villagers in the inquiry into Operation Burnham has launched legal proceedings calling for a judicial review in the investigation. More>>

ALSO:

From Hydro Plan To...: Mokihinui River Land To Join Kahurangi National Park

A total of 64,400 hectares of conservation land in the Mokihinui River catchment on the West Coast north of Westport, including 15 km of riverbed, is being added to Kahurangi National Park. “Adding this area, roughly half the size of Auckland City, to Kahurangi is the largest addition of land to an existing national park in New Zealand’s history,” Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels