Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

ACT Mobilises Drivers Over Licence Fees

Monday 21st Jun 1999
Owen Jennings
Media Release

ACT Mobilises Drivers Over Licence Fees

ACT is mobilising the country's commercial drivers this week as part of the Party's campaign to reduce the LTSA's fee hikes for renewing licences.

ACT Transport Spokesman Owen Jennings has today written to commercial licence holders around the country saying he is hopeful that with a major effort this week the LTSA's new licence renewal fees can be driven down.

Drivers of buses, taxi's and heavy vehicles who are facing costs of up to $500 to get their new licences are being asked by ACT to fax the ACT office or the Minister of Transport to back ACT's campaign to have the fees reduced.

"Many drivers don't earn enough in a whole year to pay these new fees.

"ACT believes that having lost the argument to charge up to $60 for standard drivers licences the LTSA decided to recoup the shortfall from commercial licence holders. That is outrageous and ACT is making every effort to have the costs reduced.

"The Bus and Coach Association has calculated that the LTSA will raise a total of $5,430,000 every five years ($1.086 million annually just for passenger service operators,) based on a total driver pool of about 30,000 C and D class licence holders.

"The most concerning part of this fee hike for bus drivers is the $250 they have to pay to prove they are a "fit and proper person". Out of 14,752 D class licence holders just 55 have had their licences revoked in the last five years. 99.6% of D class licence holders are paying $250 each so the LTSA can catch a handful that shouldn't be on the road.

"These fees are unfair and unjustified. With the help of commercial drivers I am confident we can get them down.

Owen Jennings has already put a submission to the Regulations Review Committee outlining the LTSA's actions in hiking up the fees and saying that Parliament must move immediately to bring them back under control. Mr Jennings is appearing before the Committee this week to back his submission.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels