Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Luxton Hails Scallop Success

MEDIA RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE USE

13 JULY 1999

Fisheries Minister, Hon John Luxton today applauded the high level of co-operation between the Ministry of Fisheries and stakeholders in building one of the strongest scallop fisheries in the world. A bumper commercial scallop season is forecast for Nelson this year.

"I am heartened by the level of co-operation between interests in this fishery. This is great news for scallop lovers and has huge benefits for the local economy".

The predicted record harvest comes on the heels of last year's excellent season which can be linked to the foresight of the industry and its enhancement techniques.

"I congratulate the efforts of the Challenger Scallop Enhancement Company Ltd, the Challenger Scallop and Dredge Oyster Recreational Advisory Committee, the Top of the South 8-Iwi Fisheries Consultative Committee and the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society in reaching a high level of consensus over management proposals".

"It is often difficult to strike a balance where conflicting interests compete. The co-operative and co-ordinated approach that has been adopted is significant".

The Minister is due to announce the commencement of the commercial scallop season once he has made final decision on management proposals for the fishery.

"One of the management proposals that has been suggested by industry, is for smaller legal size scallops to be returned to the sea so that they can be left to on-grow. This seems to be a sensible move and I intend to pursue this initiative".

As well as ensuring scallops are available to be harvested each year, a rotational harvesting system has been put in place to ensure sustainability. Rotational fishing ensures that only certain areas are fished in any one year. There are also a range of rules governing the type of dredge that can be used commercially and the amount of time vessels can stay on the beds.

The recreational scallop season begins on Thursday July 15 and runs until 14 February 2000.

The recreational daily limit of 50 scallops per person is the highest for any scallop fishery in the country. Information suggests that recreational fishers will easily reach their daily bag limit in most parts of the fishery. Next year prospects for Queen Charlotte Sound also look good, which is especially pleasing given the low catch levels in recent times.

Like their commercial counterparts, recreational fishers are equally innovative in the scallop fishery. A hydrofoil dredge design is said to be responsible for substantially improving the quality of recreational fishing.

"There is nothing better than the taste of fresh New Zealand scallops. The Nelson scallop fishery is a prime example of good working relationships and sound management techniques which will ensure that we can continue to enjoy this fine seafood," Mr Luxton concluded.

-

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

The Pike River Mine Drift will be re-entered, Minister Responsible for Pike River Re-entry Andrew Little announced today.

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little...

“The advice I have received indicates that it is likely to be around February before the re-entry proper gets underway, by breaching the 30m seal.” More>>

 

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuilding: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

Govt Loses In Supreme Court: Call For Debate On Prisoners' Right To Vote

The court earlier this week upheld a High Court decision which found that a law restricting a prisoner's right to vote was inconsistent with the Bill of Rights. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels