Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Guidelines on Radiofrequency Transmitters

Hon Tuariki Delamere
Associate Minister of Health

Hon Simon Upton
Minister for the Environment

Media Statement
For immediate release

26 July 1999

Ministers Introduce Guidelines on Radiofrequency Transmitters

The Associate Minister of Health, Hon Tuariki Delamere, and the Minister for the Environment, Hon Simon Upton, today released a draft guideline for managing the effects of radiofrequency transmitters.

"We are aiming to resolve the debate over where radiofrequency transmitters should be sited and what the health effects of these are," the Ministers said.

"These guidelines should help territorial authorities establish a consistent approach to radiofrequency transmitters and manage the effects of these on their communities.

"Members of the community with concerns about the effects of this technology will also find some interesting and helpful information about the current state of the scientific knowledge in this area. And the industry will find some helpful ideas about how to address concerns which have been expressed and avoid costly court action," Mr Upton and Mr Delamere said.

The draft guidelines also include a discussion of the key issues concerning the industry, the community and the territorial authorities, advice on the health effects and exposure limits which have been set internationally and adopted under the New Zealand Standard, and a summary of the main Environment Court ruling.

The Ministers said current research indicated there were no established health effects from exposures to radiofrequency fields at levels below the international guidelines or the New Zealand Standard.

"However, we are advising that since adverse health effects cannot be totally ruled out yet, the industry should make whatever low or no cost efforts it can to reduce the level of exposure. We are not recommending exposure limits be set any lower than the current voluntary New Zealand standard or international guidelines."

Copies of the draft guidelines are available from the Ministry of Health and the Ministry for the Environment, or by visiting the Ministries' web sites: www.moh.govt.nz or www.mfe.govt.nz

Submissions on the draft are due by September 30 and the final guidelines are expected to be published before the end of the year.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels