Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Hobbs a 'do-nothing' MP for Wellington

Wednesday 29th Sep 1999

Wellington Central MP Richard Prebble released today 8 Parliamentary answers he has received to questions regarding whether Labour list MP Marian Hobbs has ever done anything for Wellington.

"Ms Hobbs was appointed the Labour candidate last year but as the Hansard record shows, she has not raised a single Wellington issue in Parliament," Mr Prebble said.

"I read in the media her claim to be working behind the scenes so I put in questions on 8 important issues to Wellington Central constituents - a new hospital for Wellington, the stadium, statutory protection for the Town Belt, police numbers, Transmission Gully, education, employment, cultural activities.

"To my astonishment, every single Minister's office says Ms Hobbs has never made any representation.

"She has been Labour's list MP with special responsibility for Wellington Central now for nearly as year and her record of lack of performance is an indication that she would be a 'do-nothing' MP for Wellington.

"I will be inviting constituents to compare her lack of action on these issues with my record of effective representation.

"I believe Ms Hobbs put herself forward for Wellington Central because as a Christchurch list MP she failed to make any impact. Just standing in Wellington Central has given her a profile, but she has failed to realise that a constituency MP must not be such a 'big picture' person that she doesn't put in the hard work that local issues require.

"I have never made any secret of the fact that I am honoured to be a constituent MP and I regard it both as my duty and a privilege to raise issues that are important to my constituents, and as a Wellington Central resident they are also dear to me."

end

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels