Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Green Light For $35.5 Million Nelson Hospital

Green Light For $35.5 Million New-Look Nelson Hospital

MEDIA RELEASE
STRICTLY EMBARGOED UNTIL
3.30PM FRIDAY 8 OCTOBER

Rt Hon Wyatt Creech
Minister of Health
8 October 1999

GREEN LIGHT FOR $35.5 MILLION NEW-LOOK NELSON HOSPITAL

The Minister of Health today announced Nelson Hospital would be revamped and modernised to the tune of $35.5 million.

"Nelson residents can look forward to the benefits of the multi-million dollar improvements to the city's hospital from 2001, with completion by the end of 2002.

"Old buildings will be bulldozed to make way for state-of-the-art facilities linked together to ensure the safest and best care possible is available to locals," Mr Creech said.

"The redevelopment incorporates the latest developments in hospital planning and will be very flexible to meet changing clinical demands.

"The new hospital will be built around the existing new operating theatres. The George Mansen Block and Percy Brunette block will be upgraded and connected to the new facilities.

"One of the first differences people will see is how much easier it is to access the buildings and how everything is much more coordinated.

"We have been working closely with Nelson Marlborough Health Services to get the best solution and best investment in the hospital. Today's announcement is their recommended approach for the hospital.

The redevelopment will see:

· Up to $35.5 million investment · the theatres, emergency department, intensive care and critical care units and radiology will be located together on a single 'hot floor' · a combined medical and surgical ward · inpatient areas separated out from outpatient areas and clinical areas from public areas.

"Some of the buildings are getting past their use-by-date and need to be upgraded if Nelson Hospital is going to be able to keep up with modern medical care trends.

"Nelson Marlborough can now get on with the job of detailed planning and design of the new look public hospital and the final size of the investment in the hospital.

"The new buildings will lock in safe and effective health care.

"The hospital staff will have a much better environment to work in and they'll be able to provide much better care because services and facilities will be much better integrated," Mr Creech said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels