Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

NZ Troops Move Out of Dili

Hon Max Bradford
Minister of Defence
MEDIA RELEASE
October 12, 1999


NZ Troops Move Out of Dili


The New Zealand Victor Company Group of approximately 130 soldiers had moved from the East Timor capital Dili, Defence Minister Max Bradford confirmed today.

The troops moved over the weekend to the town of Suai, on the southwest coast of East Timor to secure the airfield and facilitate the flow of humanitarian aid.

“The isolated Suai region is a strategically important one, and the assignment reflects the high regard in which the New Zealand personnel are held,” Mr Bradford said.

New Zealand currently has around 550 personnel in East Timor; 200 Army personnel, 90 Air Force supporting three Iroquois helicopters, and 250 Navy personnel on the frigate HMNZS Canterbury and tanker HMNZS Endeavour.

Approximately 400 soldiers, the balance of New Zealand’s Battalion Group, will leave Ohakea for Townsville on Airforce Boeing 727s between today and October 18.

After acclimatisation and and deployment preparations, the troops will begin moving forward to East Timor. It is expected the bulk of the Battalion will be in East Timor by late October.

During this week, an additional three Air Force Iroquois helicopters and approximately 20 Air Force personnel will deploy to East Timor on Air Force Hercules Aircraft.

The 21 Armoured Personnel Carriers, stores and support equipment that left Wellington at the end of September are due to arrive in Darwin today.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels