Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Beech scheme will not proceed

Labour
2000 web site
The Timberlands West Coast beech scheme will not proceed under Labour despite the incredible claims by the State-Owned Enterprises Minister Tony Ryall about contracts for beech logging, says Labour forestry spokesperson Pete Hodgson.

"Mr Ryall's childish behaviour neither surprises nor moves us. We find his actions ludicrous and his claims incredible.

"Whether contracts to cut up to 58,000 cubic metres of beech annually for the next eight years are conditional or backdated, the beech scheme will not proceed.

"The supposed sequence of events is beyond belief. On August 24 Mr Ryall said the Government had "agreed in principle" to the beech scheme, "subject to Timberlands' demonstrating the commercial viability of sustainable beech production."

"Today that same minister is asking New Zealanders to believe that within days of that announcement - "in late August and the first week of September" - he and Timberlands had moved from agreement in principle to signing eight-year contracts.

"That's incredible. It is also extraordinary that the minister did not announce the existence of the contracts, if they existed, when Labour announced its policy on indigenous forests and its local economic development plans for the West Coast on September 10.

"Moreover it is incredible that Timberlands could sign anything other than highly conditional contracts in late August and early September when it did not confirm it had lodged resource consent applications for the beech scheme until September 30.

"Mr Ryall's announcement comes as no great surprise, however. When Labour met members of the Coast Action Network at Parliament on Tuesday last week, the beech contracts were openly alluded to.

"Mr Ryall might now like to explain why he has not released the alleged contracts. Let's see them."

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels