Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Don't Force Offer On Bloody-Minded West Coast

Native Forest Action
Media Release
Sunday 30 April 2000

DON'T FORCE BLOODY-MINDED WEST COAST MAYORS TO ACCEPT $100M SAYS NATIVE FOREST ACTION

If the West Coast mayors turn down the government's $100 million development offer tomorrow, the government should simply give this money to conservation instead, says Native Forest Action. The group says there is no point in forcing public money on reluctant West Coasters when there other projects and other regions that would gladly welcome the money.

The mayors are due to give their answer to government officials tomorrow on whether they want the $100 million.

Native Forest Action spokesperson Dean Baigent-Mercer said that there was a good chance West Coast mayors would refuse the government's offer. "They are so fixated with fighting a lost battle to retain native logging that they may well petulantly refuse the $100 million. In that case their decision should be accepted and the money can go to rehabilitating the Timberlands native forests and other urgent conservation work."

"Native Forest Action ran a nation-wide petition urging the government to give the Coasters a generous development package in exchange for ending native logging. Ordinary West Coasters deserve that. But if the mayors are bloodly minded and refuse the offer, they should have to live with the consequences."

Mr Baigent-Mercer said said New Zealanders must be getting tired of hearing Coasters complaining about the end of native logging. "By next year less than ten full-time jobs will rely on native logging whereas the West Coast pine forests support nearly 500 jobs. It's hard to understand why they are so obsessed with logging the native forests."

For more information contact: Dean Baigent-Mercer on 04-383-5168

-ends-


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

The Pike River Mine Drift will be re-entered, Minister Responsible for Pike River Re-entry Andrew Little announced today.

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little...

“The advice I have received indicates that it is likely to be around February before the re-entry proper gets underway, by breaching the 30m seal.” More>>

 

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuilding: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

Govt Loses In Supreme Court: Call For Debate On Prisoners' Right To Vote

The court earlier this week upheld a High Court decision which found that a law restricting a prisoner's right to vote was inconsistent with the Bill of Rights. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels