PM welcomes Partnership for Quality approach
She went on to say:
The government agrees with the PSA that it is essential to construct a quality public service.
This need is especially so after a long period during which the capability of public sector agencies has not been adequately maintained.
That is why today I am endorsing a set of features which the government agrees with the PSA would characterise a quality public service.
A quality public service is one that:
· Has sufficient capacity to deliver effectively and efficiently, the government's overall social, economic and environmental policy.
· Recognises and applies the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi.
· Strengthens management and employee commitment to the delivery of quality public services.
· Is recognised domestically and internationally as providing quality public services to the nation.
· Adapts and responds to the changing needs of the community.
· Provides quality jobs with fair remuneration, to public service employees and invests in their professional development.
· Promotes quality management and leadership practice that is inclusive of employees at all levels of the organisation.
The government recognises that unions can
play an important role in achieving such a public service
and that the PSA is promoting an active partnership model as
a means of achieving this, and endorses such an