"Peace Researcher" 22, Dec 2000 Available
"Peace Researcher" 22, December 2000, is now available. "PR" is the journal of the Anti-Bases Campaign
"PR" 22 reports on:
* the European Parliament has launched a year long Inquiry into Echelon, the global electronic spying project, of which NZ's Waihopai spybase is a part.
* Britain has passed a new draconian law authorising spying on all e-mail into and out of that country. The NZ government is trying to pass a law to follow suit.
* a round up of the latest on the SIS, and the aftermath of David Small's successful court action against the Police following the 1996 SIS break-in at the Christchurch home of political activist, Aziz Choudry.
* Star Wars Down Under - Bill Clinton's proposed National Missile Defense nuclear war in space programme, which will depend heavily on the US spybases in Australia (Pine Gap & Nurrungar). Harewood, the US military base at Christchurch Airport, plays a vital and ongoing role in servicing those spybases.
* David Shayler & Richard Tomlinson - the continuing legal and extra-legal persecution of these former British spies who have spoken out against their former employers.
* Philippines - the US bases have been gone for a decade, but their toxic wastes linger. Victims have launched a multi-million dollar class action suit for damages. And a history of the CIA in the Philippines.
* Okinawa - the struggle continues to remove the numerous US bases from there, and the rest of Japan.
* Harewood - our ongoing analysis of official NZ records of US military aircraft movements to and from the US base at Christchurch Airport. There was a huge upsurge at the time of President Clinton's 1999 State visit.
* Waihopai 2001 - details of the January 2001 protest at the spybase.
* Former Canadian spy's 2001 NZ speaking tour - we are raising money to bring out Mike Frost, a writer and speaker who spent over 30 years as a Canadian spy. Subject to finance, he will speak throughout NZ in the last quarter of 2001.
Plus reviews of a video and book, obituaries, a farewell to one of our key people, and a report of what our Organiser has been doing in the past year.
Annual subscription to "Peace Researcher" costs $20; ($NZ25 for Australia; $NZ30 for the rest of the world; our overseas copies are airmailed). It includes membership of the Anti-Bases Campaign. We are not registered for GST.
Make cheques to Peace Researcher, Box 2258, Christchurch, New Zealand.
CAFCA Campaign Against Foreign Control of Aotearoa PO Box 2258, Christchurch email: email@example.com