Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Federated Farmers - Telecommunication Inquiry

20 December 2000

Federated Farmers' Telecommunications spokesperson, Vice President Tom Lambie, has welcomed many elements of the Government's Telecommunications reforms, but said that he was greatly concerned about some glaring gaps.

"There is still no Universal Supply Obligation (USO) for voice connections. The USO is very important, not only for social reasons, but for economic reasons," said Mr Lambie.

"The package is good news for the 99% of New Zealanders who currently have a connection. We will be approaching Telecom to find out who the other 1% are, and what can be done to meet their needs."

"The $100m upgrade proposed by Telecom is good for those who currently have a phone connection, but not for those who don't."

"The package has failed to recognise the diversification and intensification occurring in rural New Zealand. New dairy farms, vineyards, and rural tourism ventures need phone connections. What new connection policy will Telecom apply?"

"What sharemilker or highly paid herd manager is prepared to work with no telephone. These people are managing multi-million dollar businesses, and have young families. They will not live where there are neither copper wire, nor mobile, telephone services."

"A guarantee to provide 9.6kb/s access will overcome the congestion for those lucky enough to have a telephone connection. This is still slow, but will open up the opportunity for many farmers to use asymmetric satellite links."

However, Mr Lambie was disappointed that there will be no Ombudsman. "One of the reasons that rural problems were hidden was that rural consumers have had no one to turn to with their complaints, and they are still being offered nothing."

"The electricity industry has shown the maturity to develop such a scheme, and it is time for the telecommunications industry to do likewise," he commented.

The federation welcomed tighter monitoring of the industry, and expected to see a transparent reporting regime. "Stakeholders must have input into the minimum standards. The new industry funding regime, and the proposed transparency, will also be beneficial."

ENDS For further comment: Tom Lambie 026-113-161 or 03-614-7019 Catherine Petrey 04-473-7269


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Supreme Court: Worksafe Decision On Whittall Pike River Prosecution Unlawful

The question in issue on the appeal was whether WorkSafe New Zealand acted to give effect to an unlawful agreement of this nature when it offered no evidence on charges against Peter William Whittall for breaches of the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992...

The Supreme Court... has found that the decision to offer no evidence was made under an unlawful agreement to stifle prosecution. It has granted a declaration to that effect. More>>

 

Cullen To Chair: Tax Working Group Terms Of Reference Announced

Finance Minister Grant Robertson and Revenue Minister Stuart Nash today announced the Terms of Reference for the Tax Working Group and that the Group will be chaired by Sir Michael Cullen. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The New Pike River Agency (And The Air Strike Wing)

Much of the sympathy the public still feels for the families of the Pike River miners has been sustained by the sense that the previous government – let alone the mining company and the processes of receivership and litigation – has never dealt honestly, or fairly, with them. More>>

ALSO:

Not Going Swimmingly: Contractor Cut, New Dates For Christchurch Sports Centre

“As an incoming Minister, I have been conducting a thorough review of progress on the Anchor projects and to learn of a $75 million budget blowout on this project was very disappointing..." More>>

ALSO:

Tertiary: Allowances, Loan Living Costs To Get Boost

“From 1 January, student allowance base rates and the maximum amount students can borrow for living costs will rise by a net $50 a week,” says Education Minister Chris Hipkins... further adjusted from 1 April 2018 in line with any increase in the CPI. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: Patrick Gower Interviews Jacinda Ardern

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says discussions have already begun on how to bring climate change refugees into New Zealand under a Pacific seasonal employment plan... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Centre Right’s Love Of ‘Nanny State’

You’d almost think it was 2005 again. That was a time when the rugged individualists of the centre-right were being beset by government regulations on the nature of light-bulbs, the size of shower heads, the junk food available at school tuck shops and other such essentials... More>>

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election