At Last Good News For Children
"Early news about more resources to advocate for children and their rights is good news indeed," Roger McClay told a meeting in Hamilton today.
Mr McClay was commenting on the announcement by Social Services Minister Maharey that the Office of the Commissioner for Children was to get extra funding immediately and an increase again in future years.
"These resources will be well used to advance the cause of children," said Mr McClay.
"We will, with these resources, undertake key activities associated with increasing awareness and advancing the rights and interests of children. The implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child will be further enhanced by this extra funding," he said.
Specifically listed by Mr McClay as to his intentions with more resources are:
– the promotion of awareness and understanding of children’s rights and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child
– the promotion of participation of children in decision making
– the promotion of the establishment of accessible and effective complaints mechanisms by organisations dealing with children
– the establishment of regional advocacy systems
– the reduction of inequalities for children.
"All this is at last, really good news for children," concluded Mr McClay