Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Cancer Society Pushes For Total Smoking Ban

MEDIA RELEASE
Friday 12 October

Cancer Society Pushes For Total Smoking Ban

Smoking must be banned in all hospitality venues if workers’ health is to be protected, the Cancer Society said today. The comments followed the introduction into Parliament of legislation proposing a partial ban on smoking in cafes, bars, restaurants and casinos.

“Giving venues the option of allowing smoking in 50 percent of their public area will do very little to protect bar workers from the effects of second-hand smoke,” said Cancer Society Health Promotion Programme Manager Liz Price.

“Smoking rooms would be ventilated – but there is no ventilation system available that can remove tobacco smoke to the point where it is no longer a health risk.”

Ms Price said that around 400 New Zealanders died every year from lung cancer, heart attacks and strokes because of exposure to second-hand smoke. About 150 of these were exposed to second-hand smoke in their workplace.

“It is not acceptable for people to be expected to risk their health at work. Not everyone is in a position where they can simply find another job – and anyway, why should they have to?”

She said that only 25 percent of people smoked, and it was not unreasonable to ask them to step outside a restaurant or bar when they were having a cigarette.

“That way those who want to continue to smoke can do so, while non-smokers don’t have to breathe in the mixture of toxic chemicals that makes up second-hand smoke.”

Ms Price said that allowing some smoking in venues also continued to make smoking seem like a ‘normal’ activity.

“This normalisation of smoking is thought to be one of the reasons why so many young people start to smoke. Smokefree bars and restaurants would send a clear message that smokefree environments are the way of the future.”

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels