Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Save Our Squadrons Consider Legal Challenge

facsimile: +64 + 9 +377 1660
website: www.soscampaign.co.nz


PRESS RELEASE: 16 October 2001

Organisers of the Save Our Squadrons Campaign say they have now received advice from one of the country’s leading Queen’s Counsel that there are solid grounds for a court to find that the Minister of Defence acted unlawfully when he decided that the air force’s entire air combat force should be disbanded by the end of this year.

“There are several grounds to the legal argument but they boil down to whether or not the Minister, in exercising his power of control and ministerial responsibilities under the Defence Act, exceeded those powers or exercised them for a purpose beyond the statutory purposes set down in the Defence Act”.

“When we have finished conferring with our lawyers we will need to decide if and when and in what manner we should pursue any court proceedings. This is not a decision which can be taken lightly, if only because of the costs involved”, said Campaign spokesman Dr David Dickens.

Dr Dickens said that any proceedings would probably include some form of interim relief like an injunction which would require the Government and the Defence Force to suspend further implementation of the project which is currently underway to disband the Skyhawk and Macchi squadrons at Ohakea.


The Save Our Squadrons Campaign is promoting a Nationwide Day of Protest on Wednesday October 17th with marches planned in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Rotorua. Details of the marches are being advertised on the Campaign’s website www.soscampaign.co.nz.

For further details please contact Dr David Dickens (04) 463-5434 or (021) 348-022.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels