WGTN: Tues - Palestine
*** WELLINGTON, Tuesday 15 January 2002
~ public meeting with Dianne Luping, a New Zealand human rights lawyer who works as the Co-ordinator of International advocacy and as the International Law Legal Officer at a non-governmental Human Rights Organisation (LAW) in the West Bank, Palestine.
She will be giving a first hand account about
the actual situation in the occupied territories, and will
cover a number of issues drawn from her experiences during
* a general overview of the current situation on the ground and summary of the key human rights violations perpetrated by both the Israeli military and Palestinian Authority;
* human rights abuses she has witnessed on a first hand basis, including war crimes;
* how Israeli military human rights abuses amount to 'apartheid', war crimes, and 'ethnic cleansing';
* the obstructive approach taken by the New Zealand government to Israel/Palestine at the United Nations;
* what happened at the UN Racism Conference held in South Africa;
* parallels drawn between South African apartheid and Israeli methods by South Africans (including leading Jewish anti apartheid activists) and Jewish Israeli human rights activists; and
* the role that can be played by civil society groups, in particular in a global solidarity movement against Israel's brand of apartheid.
The meeting is at 6pm, in the Mezzanine Floor Meeting Room, Wellington Central Public Library.
<> <> <>
<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>
Peace Movement Aotearoa
the national networking peace organisation
PO Box 9314, Wellington, Aotearoa/New Zealand
Tel +64 4 382 8129, fax 382 8173 email email@example.com
PMA website - http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/
Internet Peace Gateway - http://www.peace.org.nz
<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>