Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search


Government Too Slow to Protect Against GM Maize

August 9 2002

Government Too Slow to Protect Against GM Maize

"Government is shown to have again acted too late in the face of a clear exposure to GM contamination" said Sustainability Council Executive Director, Simon Terry.

"It was only 8 days ago that government set in place biosecurity measures for maize seed imports. Yet GM maize has been a commercial crop in the US for over five years and seed from the US was last year the dominant source of supply to New Zealand."

"Government moved too slowly to get a robust regime in place for sweetcorn after the November 2000 corn contamination incident. An interim regime was tightened only as of last week."

"The potential for contamination from maize seed was just as strong at the time of that first incident two years ago and yet no action was taken to protect against GM maize contamination until last week" said Mr Terry. "Maize seed was left completely untested in the meantime".

The new regime for maize and sweetcorn has raised the sample size considerably to (3200 seeds) from that used under the interim regime. It is understood that the voluntary testing of the seed used to grow the crop that will be destroyed used a sample size of only 1400 seeds.

"The higher sample size for the regime now in place should provide much better protection. However, we may well need to undertake additional random testing for a period until we can be sure this new system is adequate."

"If at any stage it is found that testing regimes are not providing the required level of protection, then the fallback option is to strongly discourage seed imports from the four countries that account for 99% of all GM crop production. This would cover only seeds that have GM equivalents."

"Such measures should include making the importer strictly liable for any damages resulting from contamination" he said.

"Government got the communication right this time. But the failure to act two years ago has left us with what looks like a contaminated crop now.

Contact Details:

Simon Terry 025-444-678, 04-913-3655


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The PM’s Indonesian Guest, And West Papua

As David Lange once said, it is almost impossible to get New Zealand to think about Indonesia, the huge nation sitting right on our doorstep.

The visit to this country early next week by Indonesian president Joko Widodo won’t change that situation, even though Widido will be the first major foreign head of state to be hosted by the Ardern government. More>>


Out By 24,000: Treasury Child Poverty Estimate Wrong

The Treasury has revised the child-poverty projections it provided to the Government in December 2017. As outlined in the Treasury’s 17 January media release, the previous estimate was based on code that included a modelling error...More>>


Mentions Russia: NZ Joins Condemnation Of Nerve Agent Attack

Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters says the New Zealand Government has grave concerns over the use of a chemical nerve agent in the United Kingdom resulting in critically serious injuries to some of those exposed. More>>


IPCA (And Privacy Commission): Police's “Exit International” Checkpoint Was Illegal

The Independent Police Conduct Authority has found that Police were not justified in stopping vehicles at a vehicle checkpoint to identify individuals who had attended an “Exit International” meeting in Lower Hutt on 2 October 2016. More>>


NZDF Coverup: Defence Admits Raid Was In Area Described In Hit And Run

When the book Hit and Run was published in March last year, the Chief of Defence Force Tim Keating held a press conference claiming the SAS had been in a different place on that date... The Defence Force has finally admitted that the “three photographs in the book are of Tirgiran Village”. More>>


"It Could Work" - Team NZ: New America's Cup Base Option

Auckland Mayor Phil Goff has welcomed Emirates Team New Zealand’s acknowledgement that a new fourth base option is workable and would see Auckland host the America’s Cup in 2021. More>>





Featured InfoPages