Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Linking Pornography and Sex Attacks

Media Release
Friday 9 August 2002


Linking Pornography and Sex Attacks

Police were reported yesterday to be hunting for a man they said is “a dangerous sexual predator fixated on Asian women” (Dominion-Post 8/8/02 p. A8). He was named as Richard Clarence Hunia and “is wanted for an alleged sexual attack on a Chinese women, 24 at his New Lynn, Auckland, flat on Saturday.”

Hunia, 41, who has been using the alias Joe Jones, is alleged to have lured the woman to his home by placing a personal advert in a Chinese-language newspaper, a copy of which was shown today on TV One midday news (9/8/02). She had only been in New Zealand for two weeks.

Police took the unusual step yesterday of naming Hunia and issuing his photograph in an attempt to try and catch him and warn the public that he is a danger to women.

When police entered Hunia’s room after the attack on the asian woman they found pornographic videos and magazines of Asian women. They say she was lucky to escape from the room after he beat her around the head and threatened to kill her if she did not perform oral sex on him.

The Society for the Promotion of Community Standards has been trying for 30 years to warn the public that the ready availability and promotion of pornography via films, videos, television, the print media and more recently the internet, poses a real danger to women and children. Its message has largely been ignored by the “experts” in the Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC), headed by Mr Bill Hastings, and the members of the Film and Literature Board of Review.

The Society’s recent appeals against classification decisions made by the OFLC which granted restricted R18 release to films like “Baise-Moi”, “Visitor Q” and “Bully” have sought to focus public attention on the “objectionable” contents of these and hundreds of films and videos being classified R 18 each year. Chief Censor, Bill Hastings has personally endorsed all three of these films as having artistic merit. He described “Visitor Q” as “accomplished and funny” on Radio 95BFM (27/3/02). These publications include gratuitous depictions of sexual violence (including rape), necrophilia (sex with a corpse), extreme cruelty and degrading sexual conduct (use of excrement), drug taking and serial killing.

The Dominion-Post reported today (9 August) that Hunia was a “convicted rapist” and that he “has been found dead in Auckland after police issued a photograph in a bid to catch him”. We are now told that he was sentenced in 1993 to 10 year’s jail on charges of rape, abduction and threatening to kill. A report at the time said the offences were committed while he was on parole for an earlier rape.

Henderson police issued a photograph of Hunia on Tuesday, with a warning that he was a danger to women. He had recently been released from jail before he served his full 10-year term for the rape committed in 1993. This early release came about when he won a High Court case in Wellington in which his lawyer argued that the Parole Board had wrongfully ordered him to serve the full 10-year term, instead of being eligible for parole after two-thirds.

If the High Court had ruled against his early release the Asian women would not have been attacked as he would have still been in prison. If he had not been released on parole after his first rape he would not have been able to commit his second rape. If he had not been feeding his mind on pornographic videos and magazines of Asian women he may not have tried to commit a sexual offence on a young Chinese woman. One thing is sure, if he had been in prison he would not have had the “freedom” to feed his mind on pornography.

The High Court decision was not able to be appealed by the Crown. However, the Crown took another case to the Court of Appeal to make sure the decision which led to Hunia’s early release could not be used as a precedent for others. The Court of Appeal ruled that the High Court’s decision regarding Hunia’s case was wrongly decided. And yet he remained free… free to commit further rapes, degrade woman and give vent to the “freedom of expression” so artistically presented in films like “Baise-Moi” and “Visitor Q”. He like any other convicted rapist, paedophile or sex pervert, who has served his time, or any potential sex offender in any one or more of these “sexual orientation” categories, is free to attend the next film festival screening films depicting gratuitous scenes of sexual violence and graphic violence, or view this corrupting material in the privacy of his own home.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Werewolf: What Does Winston Peters Want His Legacy To Be?

A lot of people in New Zealand seem to resent Winston Peters and the power that he appears to have. “Appears” being the operative word. In reality, Peters will have power only up to the point that he uses it.

By next week, he’ll have become just another junior player in an MMP governing arrangement, battling to hold onto the gains he was promised. More>>

 

Rising Toll: Road Safety Needs To Be A Higher Priority

Official advice released to the Green Party under the Official Information Act shows that the previous National Government dismissed an option to make road safety its most important transport priority after being told the road toll was rising. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Arrests At Blockade Of "Weapons Expo"

“We encourage people in Wellington to get down to the Westpac Stadium now for a day of awesome peace action. There will be plenty of food, music and activities to keep us sustained through the day.” More>>

ALSO:

Rorschach Restructuring: PSA Taking Inland Revenue To Court Over Psychometrics

The Public Service Association will be seeing Inland Revenue in Employment Court over its intention to psychometrically test employees reapplying for their roles at the department as part of its controversial Business Transformation restructuring plan. More>>

ALSO:

Nuclear Disarmament: Nobel Peace Prize 2017 Awarded To ICAN

Congratulations from iCAN Aotearoa New Zealand to international iCAN, the other iCAN national campaigns and partner organisations, and the countless organisations and individuals who have worked so hard for a nuclear weapons-free world since 1945. More>>

ALSO:

Expenses: Waikato DHB CEO Resigns

An independent inquiry has identified that Dr Murray had spent more than the agreed $25K allocated for relocation costs, and other unauthorized expenses involving potential financial breaches of the chief executive’s obligations. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Sad About The Trolley Buses?

The Regional Council’s MetLink is today spending money to tell us that it really loves Wellington’s trolley buses, even though they’re all being taken off our roads by the end of this month. More>>

ALSO:

Post-Election: Preliminary Coalition Talks Begin

New Zealand First will hold post-election preliminary discussions in Wellington with the National Party tomorrow morning and the Labour Party tomorrow afternoon. More>>

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election