Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


AIDS Foundation Strikes Problem with Billboard

National Penis Day, Thursday 5th September

AIDS Foundation Strikes Problem with Billboard

for immediate release

The New Zealand AIDS Foundation today expressed exasperation that it was being blocked from erecting billboards that feature (non-erect) men’s penises to mark National Penis Day this coming Thursday 5th September. Foundation Executive Director, Kevin Hague, said:


"It seems that, despite practically everyone either having a penis or being pretty familiar with the sight of someone else’s, men’s penises are considered to be so obscene and offensive that they cannot be shown on a billboard in New Zealand.

At the risk of seeing the headline ‘AIDS Foundation fails to get it up’, I think we have to highlight the rich irony in what has occurred: a campaign to demystify the penis and highlight the demonisation of men’s sexuality has fallen victim to the same mindset that saw early missionaries hack the penises from carved figures in New Zealand and the Pacific. It demonstrates that nineteenth century attitudes are alive and well in New Zealand today.”

The Foundation pointed out that while it was possible to find amusement in this example of modern wowserism, there was also a very serious side to the issue, and the Foundation would still find a way to promote its message.


"The whole idea of National Penis Day is to highlight the need for men to be able to talk about sex in a healthy way and to be able to take seriously their own sexual health and that of their partners. The main obstacles to these goals are the rigid masculine roles men are expected to play and the silence and shame surrounding men’s sexuality."

“ In the 1980s, AIDS activists used the slogan ‘Silence = Death’ to illustrate the tragic consequences if we fail to change our cultures in ways that enable us to be able to talk about previously taboo subjects like sex. Surely we’ve got beyond that by now?”

Kevin Hague pointed out that it seemed bizarre that it would be possible to put up billboards depicting:

- Michelangelo’s ‘David’ or any number of other sculptures or paintings that included naked men;
- The Giant of Cerne Abbas (a huge Prehistoric chalk drawing in the green fields of Southern England, featuring a man with an erect penis;
- Pou Whakairo including figures with penises;
- Men wearing penis gourds;
- Clockwork toy penises;
- A huge array of phallic symbols;

but not a photograph of the real thing.


“What we wanted to depict in the billboard would have been acceptable on Swedish children’s television, for goodness’ sake. It is no coincidence that Sweden has much lower rates of sexually transmitted infections than does New Zealand when we men are continually told that we should be ashamed of our sexuality.”

“It’s about time we got over this silliness.”

For further comment please contact Kevin Hague, Executive Director

Office: 09-303-3124
Home: 09-372-9780
Mobile: 027-291-7628


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news