The day all-out war begins - emergency responses
The day all-out war begins - emergency response details
Below are the emergency response details for various towns and cities for the day all-out war and / or invasion of Iraq begins.
If you wish to have the emergency response details for your city or town included, please send them to Peace Movement Aotearoa mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading 'emergency response details'. As new details come in we will add them to the listings at http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/vigils.htm
If you require more information about the emergency response vigils, please contact us and we will send you a message which gives some background information about their purpose, and how you can set them up in your area.
And if you haven't already done so, now would be a good time to circulate the details for your area around your local e-lists and contacts.
* Whangarei emergency response details - 'Day of Shame' - gather from 4-30pm at the Hatea River bridges between town and Riverside; bring candles and placards. For more information contact Coalition for Peace tel Tim (09) 434 6633 or email mailto:email@example.com
* Auckland emergency response details - 5-30pm at the US Consulate, outside Citibank Building, Customs St East, Central Auckland. For more information contact email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
* Gisborne emergency response details - vigil at 5pm to express solidarity with the people of Iraq, at the Wi Pere Memorial, Reads Quay. For more information contact Catherine tel (06) 868 1905 or email mailto:email@example.com
* Whanganui emergency response details - peace vigil at 4-30pm in Majestic Square. For more information contact Peter Watson, tel (06) 345 0634 or email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
* Wellington emergency response details - peace vigil from 5pm at the Cenotaph (corner Bowen Street and Lambton Quay), a march will leave from there at 5-30pm and go via the British High Commission (Hill Street) and Australian High Commission (Hobson Street) to arrive at the US Embassy (Fitzherbert Terrace) around 6-30pm, then a candle lit vigil for peace. There will be a speaker, a period of chanting, and a period of silence at each stop; you are invited to bring candles, red (for blood) and/or black (for mourning) streamers or ribbons, flowers, photographs, or other objects to leave at each place to express your grief for the people of Iraq. For more information contact Peace Movement Aotearoa tel (04) 382 8129 or email mailto:email@example.com
* Takaka emergency response details - silent vigil from 5pm at the Village Green from 5pm onwards. Wear a black armband and/or bring a candle to light if you wish. Organised by Golden Bay Peace Group and Golden Bay Quakers, for more information contact tel (03) 525 9576 or email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
* Westport emergency response details - meet 5pm at the Post Office corner. For more information contact Pete Lusk tel (03) 789 5334.
* Greymouth emergency response details - peace vigil at 5pm at the fountain in front of the District Council Building. For more information contact Paul tel (03) 732 4010 or email mailto:email@example.com
* Christchurch emergency response details - peace vigil at 5-30pm in Cathedral Square. For more information contact tel (03) 981 2825 or email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
* Timaru emergency response details - all night peace vigil from 5-30pm at St Mary's Church. For more information, contact Nancy Hammond tel (03) 684 4608 or email mailto:email@example.com
* Dunedin emergency
response details - all night peace vigil from 5pm in the
Octagon. For more information contact tel 021 234 2336 or