Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


MoH Keeps Watch As Sars Cases Continue Overseas


Ministry Keeps Watch As Sars Cases Continue Overseas

THE Ministry of Health is continuing its vigilance against Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, as the number of cases overseas continues to increase.

Director of Public Health, Dr Colin Tukuitonga said while no cases had been reported in New Zealand, the risk that a traveller could bring the syndrome into the country remained a significant threat.

The latest World Health Organisation update on March 27 reported 1408 cases, and 53 deaths. This was up from 1323 cases and 49 deaths reported as of March 26.

"It is extremely concerning to see the number of cases continue to climb, and we remain on high alert in New Zealand. The Ministry had a telephone conference this morning with representatives from the World Health Organization, Communicable Disease Network of Australia, National Pandemic Planning Committee, Medical Officers of Health, and viral illness expert networks.

"This review of the situation overseas and in New Zealand confirmed that our approach at this stage is appropriate. We will review it again on Monday morning, unless a development occurs over the weekend to bring that reanalysis forward."

Dr Tukuitonga said the World Health Organization was now recommending that airport authorities in infected countries screen all departing passengers. WHO has recommended that the authorities should ask the following questions: · Whether passengers had had contact with severe acute respiratory syndrome · Whether passengers had any of the symptoms, including a high fever and dry cough · Whether any family member had had contact with the disease.

"This enhanced screening of departing passengers from infected countries should help protect our country from the disease. However, we cannot and are not relying on this. Airlines travelling to New Zealand will continue to be vigilant for signs of the symptoms, and we are updating and increasing the amount of information available to the public.

"Airports are being sent more posters and pamphlets to give to all arriving international passengers. Posters will also be distributed next week to other public places likely to be frequented by overseas visitors," Dr Tukuitonga said.

"I would like to stress that there is no need for the New Zealand public to be alarmed. However, we do need to be alert," he said.

The SARS webpage (www.moh.govt.nz/sars) and freephone 0800 0800 80 will continue to provide the latest information to New Zealanders seeking advice.

Overseas updates include:

Hong Kong ? About 100 schools are now closed.

Philippines ? Travellers from affected areas are being voluntarily quarantined for one week

Canada ? Ontario has declared a health emergency and some schools have been closed.

Singapore ? Reported cases and close contacts are being home quarantined, affecting 840 people.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news