Questions For A Select Committee
3 March 2004
Questions for a select committee
Business NZ Chief Executive Simon Carlaw says the Transport & Industrial Relations Select Committee will have an uphill battle to make a responsible report on the Employment Relations Law Reform Bill.
Business NZ will be the first organisation to appear before the committee, at 11.00 am tomorrow.
He hopes the committee will ask why the Bill will be bad for freedom and growth.
It might also clarify:
1. How will compulsory collective bargaining
help small businesses make a buck?
2. Why won't staff on individual agreements be allowed to earn as much as those on a collective agreement?
3. Why make expensive rules to protect vulnerable workers instead of just giving them some targeted help?
4. How are employers and employees helped by making dismissal rules incomprehensible?
5. How come good faith doesn't mean good faith anymore?
Business NZ is looking forward to long-promised constructive dialogue.
Select Committee hearing:
When: 11 am Thursday 4
Where: Select committee room no. G003 (Ground floor, old Parliament Building)