Consultation On Marine Protection Policy Extended
18 January 2005
Deadline extended for consultation on new marine protection policy
In response to calls from the public, consultation on the Government's draft marine protection policy has been extended to 28 February.
Submissions to the draft Marine Protected Areas Policy Statement and Implementation Plan were to have closed this Friday (21 January). Stakeholders who received the initial draft document have been advised in writing of the change.
"We've had many calls from interested groups asking for extension of the deadline for submissions and consequently asked Ministers of Conservation and Fisheries for an extension," Conservation Department principal policy analyst Jim Nicolson said today. "This has now been given by both Ministers."
In launching public consultations on 8 November last year, Conservation Minister Chris Carter said that he wished to ensure that the selection process for new sites for marine protection would cover a full range of sea life, while minimising the impact on ocean users, such as fishers.
Over the next five years, the Government would make a systematic, region-by-region assessment of needs and sites for protection, he said. Planning would involve government agencies, environmental organisations, fishing groups, Maori and others.