Safety the Priority of Harbour Bridge Event
Monday 24 January 2005
'Safety the Priority of Harbour Bridge Event - Organisers'
'Defend the Legacy' management say that public safety has been the planning priority working towards the Harbour Bridge event in March.
The event planned for Saturday 5th March was launched following the passing of same-sex marriage legislation (Civil Union Bill) and aims to positively promote traditional family values and the institution of marriage.
Spokesman for the organisers, Pastor Andrew Stock, said the event was in the planning stage with officials when public statements by Police and Transit were released without consultation.
"We came out of a recent meeting encouraged that things were moving forward nicely - public safety being the priority of our planning. Following nearly two months of notification and consultation, last week's statements [by Police and Transit] were a surprise but I am sure we can come to an arrangement that satisfies all parties', he said.
Organisers aim to conduct the march in the same manner as previous Harbour Bridge events including the recent Hikoi, which was facilitated by authorities at short notice and without incident.
"The Harbour Bridge is a significant landmark that accurately represents how seriously we and many other New Zealanders feel about the issues we are marching on, but we will not compromise safety to make our point", Pastor Stock added.
Organisers will look at options such as limiting the bridge section of the march to numbers recommended by authorities, with the remainder joining from the city side.