NZ Army Unimog accident - Memorial Services
03 March 2005
NZ Army Unimog accident - Memorial Services for Pte Ohlen and Pte Partington
Two Army Memorial Services will be held on Friday, 4 March 2005 for Private Shane Adrian Ohlen and Private David James Partington. Both Soldiers are missing presumed dead as a result of last Wednesday's fatal NZ Army Unimog accident at Cromwell. Private Ohlen's Memorial Service will be held at Burnham Military Camp at 2pm.
Media interested in attending the Burnham Memorial Service must register with Lieutenant Megan Walsh on 027 676 5910. Private Partington's Memorial Service will be at Linton Military Camp at 2pm.
A Memorial Service and Funeral has already taken place for the third accident victim, Private Ashley Patrick Goodwin whose body was recovered at the accident scene. The New Zealand Army's thoughts remain with the families and friends of the three soldiers.
Private Shane Adrian Ohlen
* Age: 21 years
* Enlistment Date: 1 September 2004
* Pte Ohlen completed Basic Training in Waiouru, graduating as a Driver in the Royal New Zealand Army Logistic Regiment.
* After finishing basic training in November 2004, Pte Ohlen was posted to 3rd Logistics Battalion at Burnham Military Camp.
* Pte Ohlen was a volunteer fireman and had attained the Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award.
* Pte Ohlen was a positive individual who worked hard at any task he was given. He was always willing to help others and was keen to learn new skills.
Private David James Partington
* Age: 17 years
* Enlistment Date: 26 April 2004
* Pte Partington completed Basic Training in Waiouru, graduating as a Driver in the Royal New Zealand Army Logistic Regiment.
* In October 2004, he was posted to 2nd Logistics Battalion at Linton Military Camp from where he completed further trade training including completion of the Royal New Zealand Army Logistic Regiment Basic Course and the Ammunition Handlers Course.
* Following Christmas leave, Pte Partington commenced the start of his driver training in Burnham.
* He was due to return to 10 Transport Company at the beginning of March
* Pte Partington was raised in Waitara, Taranaki and was a keen surfer and surf lifesaver.