Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Asbestos being removed from Matiu/Somes Island

6 September, 2005

Asbestos being removed from Matiu/Somes Island

Work begins on September 12 to remove and replace asbestos material from buildings on Matiu/Somes Island in Wellington Harbour.

The Department of Conservation has awarded a contract for the work to Palmerston North-based contractors Aldridge and Co. The team undertaking the 14-week project will be led by an operator certified by the Department of Labour as competent to remove asbestos.

The island, a historic and scientific reserve managed by DOC, will remain open to the public while the work is in progress, with the construction area cordoned off and signposted, Poneke Area manager Peter Simpson said.

A traffic management plan will be put in place by the contractor to ensure safety on the road between the wharf and construction site when material is brought in and taken off the island by barge.

Access to the public will be restricted to the track around the perimeter and to the top of the island. There will be no access to the visitor centre as this is within the construction site. There are public toilets at the wharf area. A track has been opened up to access the summit of the island during dry weather only.”

“The contractor will be using approved precautions to ensure their work poses no danger to public visiting the island,” Mr Simpson said.

The work, costing around $500,000, involves removing asbestos material from five houses and staff units, and the five buildings associated with the former Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries quarantine facility - the workshop, generator shed, maximum quarantine building, recreation hall/feed store and the ova transplant building.

The asbestos roofing on the workshop, generator shed, maximum quarantine building, recreation hall/feed store and the ova transplant building, will be replaced with aluminium roofing. Asbestos wall material will be replaced with cement fibre board sheet and painted. Asbestos-containing gutters and downpipes on these buildings will be replaced with a new spouting system.

All the affected buildings will also be decontaminated to a standard that can be certified free from asbestos contamination.

“We are keen to ensure that this popular island reserve is safe for both the public and staff,” Mr Simpson said.

“Although the asbestos cladding on the island housing was stable, we have decided to also replace this with cement fibre board sheets.”

DOC closed the island earlier this year following the discovery of asbestos flakes from the roofs of five buildings associated with the former quarantine facility. It had since re-opened although the affected areas have been off-limits to the public.

Regional Medical Officer of Health Dr Stephen Palmer said it was timely to alert the public to the need to use approved asbestos removal contractors if they are carrying out maintenance work involving asbestos materials.

“Drilling or sawing that disturbs or damages the material can lead to fibres being released into the air and this may pose a health hazard. It’s important that people use approved contractors to undertake this work.”

Booklets about asbestos - All about asbestos and Removing asbestos from the home can be downloaded from the Ministry of Health's health information website - www.healthed.govt.nz and are available at District Health Board Public Health Units.

The Department of Labour publishes health and safety guidelines to manage risk associated with moving asbestos. Guidelines for the management and removal of asbestos can be found on the department’s website: www.dol.govt.nz.

For more information about Matiu/Somes Island check out the DOC website: www.doc.govt.nz (explore > other places > Wellington > Matiu/Somes Island.)

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Decision Day: Peters Chooses Labour

Winston Peters says he will form a Government in coalition with Labour and the Greens giving confidence and supply.

Peters said he had been offered the position of Deputy Prime Minister and a number of other ministerial posts would go to his colleagues

He said economic and monetary policy changes were needed to face a coming economic downturn.>>>More

Reaction

Labour on its agreement |Peters: Post-Election Announcement Speech | Greenpeace “cautiously hopeful” about new Government | ACT - Madman on the loose | E tū ecstatic | Chamber welcomes the outcome

 

Climate: Increasing Greenhouse Emissions Hit NZ

New Zealand is seeing impacts of excess greenhouse gas emissions in our climate and oceans, according to the latest national report from the Ministry for the Environment and Stats NZ about the state of the atmosphere and climate…More>>

ALSO:


Wellington.Scoop: Arrests At Blockade Of "Weapons Expo"

“We encourage people in Wellington to get down to the Westpac Stadium now for a day of awesome peace action. There will be plenty of food, music and activities to keep us sustained through the day.” More>>

ALSO:

Rorschach Restructuring: PSA Taking Inland Revenue To Court Over Psychometrics

The Public Service Association will be seeing Inland Revenue in Employment Court over its intention to psychometrically test employees reapplying for their roles at the department as part of its controversial Business Transformation restructuring plan. More>>

ALSO:

Nuclear Disarmament: Nobel Peace Prize 2017 Awarded To ICAN

Congratulations from iCAN Aotearoa New Zealand to international iCAN, the other iCAN national campaigns and partner organisations, and the countless organisations and individuals who have worked so hard for a nuclear weapons-free world since 1945. More>>

ALSO:

Expenses: Waikato DHB CEO Resigns

An independent inquiry has identified that Dr Murray had spent more than the agreed $25K allocated for relocation costs, and other unauthorized expenses involving potential financial breaches of the chief executive’s obligations. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Sad About The Trolley Buses?

The Regional Council’s MetLink is today spending money to tell us that it really loves Wellington’s trolley buses, even though they’re all being taken off our roads by the end of this month. More>>

ALSO:

Post-Election: Preliminary Coalition Talks Begin

New Zealand First will hold post-election preliminary discussions in Wellington with the National Party tomorrow morning and the Labour Party tomorrow afternoon. More>>

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election