Third anniversary of the invasion of Iraq
What's on where for the third anniversary of the invasion of Iraq
Peace Movement Aotearoa
15 March 2006
During the week of 15 to 22 March 2006, there will be protests, vigils and rallies all around the world to mark the third anniversary of the invasion and occupation of Iraq. Below are the details of what is happening in Aotearoa New Zealand; the web page with anniversary listings is at http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/18mar06.htm and any more that come in will be added there - if you would like your event added to the page, please send the details to email firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Event for 18 March page' in the subject line.
For a leaflet providing an overview of the 'war on terrorism' and alternatives to it, see 'Sept 11: the day the world changed?' at http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/worldchange.pdf
* Auckland *
- Saturday, 18 March - International day of action against torture and war, marking the third anniversary of the invasion of Iraq; protest at 12 noon, US Consulate, Citybank Building, Customs Street East. Organised by Global Peace and Justice Auckland, for more information contact email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Wellington and Kapiti Coast *
- Thursday, 16 March - End NZ support for the 'war on terrorism', peace vigil from 5pm to 6pm at the Cenotaph (corner Lambton Quay and Bowen Street); the peace vigils are held on the first and third Thursday of each month. For more information contact Peace Movement Aotearoa, tel (04) 382 8129 or email email@example.com
- Saturday, 18 March - Stop the War Machine! On Saturday 18 March, people around the world will gather to mark the third anniversary of the invasion of Iraq. In Wellington, a peace march from Midland Park on Lambton Quay, going to the US Embassy will be held. The march starts at 12 noon. Please bring family, children, colourful banners, placards or other creative displays of resistance to war. For more information please contact Peace Action Wellington, email firstname.lastname@example.org or tel 021-232-7749.
- Monday, 20 March - screening of 'Lord of War' to mark the anniversary of the US-led invasion of Iraq. 'Lord of War' stars Nicolas Cage, was written and directed by Kiwi Bafta-award winning director Andrew Niccol, who was born in Paraparaumu, and exposes the immorality of the international arms trade. Amnesty is hosting this movie to raise awareness and invite participation in its petition to the UN for an international arms treaty, as part of their Control Arms campaign. Come along at 7.30 pm for pre-show supper and speakers, screening starts at 8pm, at Reading Cinemas, Coastlands, Paraparaumu; tickets are $15, available from Reading Cinemas, Coastlands, tel (04) 902 6684. Organised by Peace Action Kapiti and Kapiti Amnesty; for information about the Control Arms campaign see http://www.controlarms.org and for information about NZ weapons and related production see http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/nowarp.htm
* Christchurch *
- Friday, 17 March - Peace circle to mark three years of war in Iraq - Peace Action Network will mark this sad anniversary by gathering in the Square as we did the night the invasion began, we hope you will join us at 7pm in Cathedral Square. Organised by Peace Action Network Otautahi, for more information contact email email@example.com There is a print off flyer online at http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/panmar06.pdf