Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Mexican Government Must Act On HR in Atenco

Sunday 28 May 2006
Media Statement

Mexican Government Must Act to Secure Human Rights in Atenco

The time has come for the Mexican police to be held accountable for their actions. A spokesperson for the Latin America Solidarity Committee, Elliot O'Brien, called for Mexican President Vicente Fox to honour his word by freeing the prisoners, bringing police guilty of abuses before the courts and taking steps taken to bring police protocol into line with Mexico’s commitments to human rights. A delegation in support of the people of Atenco and Texcoco, will take these concerns, once again, to the Mexican Embassy at 1pm Monday 29 May.

On Friday 12 May a number of concerned individuals protested this abuse outside the Mexican Embassy in Wellington. A group initiated a dialogue with embassy officials. At the time there was a lack of clarity on many issues surrounding the developments in Atenco. Mr O' Brien said that Embassy officials insisted the Mexican government believes that the human rights of its citizens should be upheld, investigations were underway and where abuses were found to have occurred, action would be taken. However, O'Brien said that, so far, the actions of the Mexican government have been face-saving at best. The 189 arrested were charged with hostage-taking, blocking roads and organised delinquency. The fact that charges against the foreigners have been dropped, but those against locals stand, suggests that there is not evidence or basis in law to bring them.

On 3 May, Mexican police and army officials forcibly evicted flower vendors occupying a marketplace in Texcoco, Mexico. 189 people, including five foreigners were arrested, and a 14 year old boy named Francisco Javier Cortes Santiago was killed. Imprisoned in Santiaguito, Almolaya de Juárez, the National Human Rights Commission has received 182 separate claims of rights violations including severe and repeated beatings, degrading treatment and violation of legal protocols. 30 women reported sexual abuse by security forces.

Since this time both national and international human rights organisations have been allowed access to the prisoners and further information has surfaced. Notably, Amnesty International has questioned the arrests of the vendors and demanded their immediate release.

The Miguel Augstin Pro Human Rights Center released video testimony from three state police officers confirming responsibility for the death of the 14-year-old." The youth saw an officer who was trying to hide. He shouted that there was a state police officer and (the officer) took out his gun and shot him," said the officers. The three policemen revealed that state police arrived in Atenco armed with R-15 caliber rifles and .38 and 9 millimeter pistols. "We were under orders to beat anything that moved, but only out of sight of the media," said the police.

Public Security Secretary Eduardo Medina admitted officials used excessive force in dealing with flower vendors and then quelling street protests. The National Human Rights Commission reported that police used prophylactics during the abuse, a strong indication that they came to Atenco with the intention of committing rape.

Given the haste that charges have been laid against the vendors, O'Brien said that it was unacceptable that the police continue to hide behind open-ended investigations. “When questioned about the issue, Mexican president Vicente Fox 'if there were excesses, then they should be punished by applying the law.' Evidence and testimony of excesses are now available, it is time for action.”

Latin America Solidarity Committee
http://www.lascnz.blogspot.com


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Peters/Ardern Triumph

There are a lot of good reasons to feel joyful about this outcome. It is what so many young voters – the best hope for the country’s future – wanted.

Far more important than the implications for the Economy Gods ( is the dollar up or down? ) last night’s outcome will also mean many, many vulnerable New Zealanders will have a better life over the next three years at least.

Yet the desire for change was in the majority, across the country..>>>More


Reaction

Labour on its agreement |Peters: Post-Election Announcement Speech | Greenpeace “cautiously hopeful” about new Government | ACT - Madman on the loose | E tū ecstatic | Chamber welcomes the outcome | Greens on their joining Govt | EDS welcomes new govt | Immigrant groups worry | Feds ready to engage new coalition government | Labour Ministers of the Crown announced

 

Climate: Increasing Greenhouse Emissions Hit NZ

New Zealand is seeing impacts of excess greenhouse gas emissions in our climate and oceans, according to the latest national report from the Ministry for the Environment and Stats NZ about the state of the atmosphere and climate…More>>

ALSO:


Wellington.Scoop: Arrests At Blockade Of "Weapons Expo"

“We encourage people in Wellington to get down to the Westpac Stadium now for a day of awesome peace action. There will be plenty of food, music and activities to keep us sustained through the day.” More>>

ALSO:

Rorschach Restructuring: PSA Taking Inland Revenue To Court Over Psychometrics

The Public Service Association will be seeing Inland Revenue in Employment Court over its intention to psychometrically test employees reapplying for their roles at the department as part of its controversial Business Transformation restructuring plan. More>>

ALSO:

Nuclear Disarmament: Nobel Peace Prize 2017 Awarded To ICAN

Congratulations from iCAN Aotearoa New Zealand to international iCAN, the other iCAN national campaigns and partner organisations, and the countless organisations and individuals who have worked so hard for a nuclear weapons-free world since 1945. More>>

ALSO:

Expenses: Waikato DHB CEO Resigns

An independent inquiry has identified that Dr Murray had spent more than the agreed $25K allocated for relocation costs, and other unauthorized expenses involving potential financial breaches of the chief executive’s obligations. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Sad About The Trolley Buses?

The Regional Council’s MetLink is today spending money to tell us that it really loves Wellington’s trolley buses, even though they’re all being taken off our roads by the end of this month. More>>

ALSO:

Post-Election: Preliminary Coalition Talks Begin

New Zealand First will hold post-election preliminary discussions in Wellington with the National Party tomorrow morning and the Labour Party tomorrow afternoon. More>>

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election