Updated details for W Papua national speaking tour
From: Peace Movement Aotearoa
28 August 2006
Updated details for remainder of W Papua national speaking tour
Wellington, Dunedin and Christchurch public meetings
From Friday, 18 August, through to Tuesday, 5 September, Reverend Socratez Sofyan Yoman will be speaking at public meetings around the country about West Papua - the hidden Pacific conflict. Below is some biographical information about Socratez, and details of the public meetings still to come. Links to media reports on the West Papua seminar in Auckland on 18 August, and interviews with Socratez, are available at http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/wp0806.htm
* About Rev Socratez Sofyan Yoman
Rev Socratez Sofyan Yoman is chairman of the Alliance of Baptist Churches in West Papua. In the past eight years, Rev Socratez has taken an increasingly high profile as a campaigner for peace, justice and human rights in West Papua. He has briefed Australian, British and European parliamentarians as well as United Nations representatives about West Papua. He has written five books about West Papua, including 'Papuans Are Not Separatists' and 'Gate to Free Papua'.
Rev Socratez has released a list of incidents in 2006 when he was terrorised and intimidated by Indonesian military, police or intelligence officers, including when his car was destroyed by Indonesian Mobile Brigade Police: "Myself, I am not afraid because I am talking about the truth and justice and peace; and I'm talking about human dignity and human rights. But I'm still afraid for my two son."
* Rev Socratez Sofyan Yoman's remaining public meetings
* Monday, 28 August, Wellington
- CID lunchtime forum with Rev Socratez Sofyan Yoman who will be speaking about conditions under the Indonesian occupation, 12.30pm to 1.30pm at the Centre for Global Action, Level 2, James Smith Building, corner Manners St and Cuba St Malls; please RSVP, if you are planning on attending, to Kyi Kyi email info[at]cid.org.nz
- 'West Papua: Justice, Peace and Human Rights', a public talk by Rev Socratez Sofyan Yoman, 5.30pm at the Wellington Central Baptist Church, 46 to 48 Boulcott Street; for more information contact Caritas email Leesa[at]caritas.org.nz
* Tuesday, 29 August, Wellington
- 'Focus on West Papua', Pacific Studies, Va'aomanu Pasifika presents a talk by Reverend Socratez Sofyan Yoman, from 12 noon to 1.30pm, Seminar Room, 6 Kelburn Parade, Victoria University of Wellington. All welcome, please bring your lunch. For more information contact Teresia Teaiwa, Pacific Studies, Va'aomanu Pasifika email teresia.teaiwa[at]vuw.ac.nz or Peace Movement Aotearoa, email pma[at]xtra.co.nz or tel (04) 382 8129. A printable poster advertising this meeting is available at http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/wp290806.pdf
* Thursday, 31 August, Dunedin
- public meeting with Rev Socratez Sofyan Yoman, 7.30pm at the Holy Name Parish Centre, 420 Great King Street.
* Monday, 4 September, Christchurch
- 'West Papua: Creating a Zone of Peace' public meeting, 7-30 pm at Knox Hall, 28 Bealey Avenue (corner Victoria Street and Bealey Ave); Reverend Socratez Sofyan Yoman speaking on the situation in West Papua after over four decades of Indonesian occupation. For more information contact Christian World Service email gillian.southey[at]cws.org.nz or Arena arena.nz[at]clear.net.nz A printable poster advertising this meeting is available at http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/wp040906.pdf
* Tuesday, 5 September, Christchurch
- 'West Papua: the Hidden Pacific Conflict' public seminar, 1pm, Macmillan Brown Centre, 100 Arts Road, University of Canterbury; for more information contact Christian World Service email gillian.southey[at]cws.org.nz