Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search


Unions Launch "O900 Lock Out" Appeal

National Distribution Union and the Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union

Tuesday, 5 September 2006, 2:30pm

Unions Launch "O900 Lock Out" Appeal - Auckland Delegate To Join Palmerston North Picket

A delegation of eleven locked out Auckland distribution workers will be leaving the 80 Favona St supply centre at 3.30pm this afternoon to join Palmerston North workers at the same time that unions launch the "0900 Lock Out" (0900 5625 688) appeal, says the National Distribution Union.

NDU National Secretary Laila Harré said that Auckland workers voted last night to send representatives to give support to the Palmerston North workers and called for the 0900 number to help cover rent and food bills and to alleviate the financial pressure to return to work.

"The Palmerston North Countdown, Woolworths and Foodtown distribution workers currently have the benchmark contract and are feeling the brunt of the company's bullying," she said. "But the locked out workers remain committed to achieving a national collective agreement despite pressure from the lock out seeing 10-12 workers starved into accepting the employer's demands since the lock out started."

Ms Harré refuted claims made by Progressive in a press release today and said that only about a third of distribution centre staff at this smaller centre were working and some of about half of those had been at work throughout the dispute.

"The DC is not operating at full capacity and the company is only able to do the little it is because it is prepared to starve workers into accepting its demands. It is a tribute to the determination of these workers and the support of their families, unions and communities that less than 20 of the 600 involved have returned to work on the employer's terms."

Laila Harré said a public and union appeal to collect funds for the locked out families had already received $40,000 in donations "but we need much more than that."

A donation line 0900 LOCK OUT (0900 5625 688) has been set up to allow the public to make $20 donations.


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The (Looming) Nurses’ Strike

It is (almost) possible to feel a bit sorry for the DHB negotiators engaged in the current nurses pay round. Come next Monday there’s every sign that nurses will resoundingly reject the pay offer the DHBs have put on the table, as being totally inadequate (a) as fair compensation for the crucial work that nurses do and (b) as a recruitment incentive for a workforce which is already under severe stress, and facing a demographic explosion in patients as the baby boomers lurch into old age. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On The PM’s Indonesian Guest, And West Papua

As David Lange once said, it is almost impossible to get New Zealand to think about Indonesia, the huge nation sitting right on our doorstep.More>>


Out By 24,000: Treasury Child Poverty Estimate Wrong

The Treasury has revised the child-poverty projections it provided to the Government in December 2017. As outlined in the Treasury’s 17 January media release, the previous estimate was based on code that included a modelling error...More>>


Mentions Russia: NZ Joins Condemnation Of Nerve Agent Attack

Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters says the New Zealand Government has grave concerns over the use of a chemical nerve agent in the United Kingdom resulting in critically serious injuries to some of those exposed. More>>


IPCA (And Privacy Commission): Police's “Exit International” Checkpoint Was Illegal

The Independent Police Conduct Authority has found that Police were not justified in stopping vehicles at a vehicle checkpoint to identify individuals who had attended an “Exit International” meeting in Lower Hutt on 2 October 2016. More>>


NZDF Coverup: Defence Admits Raid Was In Area Described In Hit And Run

When the book Hit and Run was published in March last year, the Chief of Defence Force Tim Keating held a press conference claiming the SAS had been in a different place on that date... The Defence Force has finally admitted that the “three photographs in the book are of Tirgiran Village”. More>>


"It Could Work" - Team NZ: New America's Cup Base Option

Auckland Mayor Phil Goff has welcomed Emirates Team New Zealand’s acknowledgement that a new fourth base option is workable and would see Auckland host the America’s Cup in 2021. More>>





Featured InfoPages