Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Key’s comments undermine Select Committee


Key’s comments undermine Select Committee
March 03, 2009


Auckland, New Zealand — Greenpeace has declined to appear before the Government’s climate change committee, saying John Key’s comments in the latest Investigate magazine show the process is a farce (1).

“Mr Key implies that climate change might not be happening. To the best of my knowledge, he’s the only leader in the world to think this, let alone say it publicly. His comments are dangerous and likely to make New Zealand a laughing stock," said Greenpeace climate campaigner Simon Boxer.

"Key’s comments go a long way towards explaining why New Zealand currently has no plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions."

Boxer said there had been more than enough talk over climate policy in New Zealand; what’s needed is action. “New Zealand is now effectively alone within progressive OECD nations in having no formal climate change policies on the table. We have no credible programme whatsoever for tackling this growing global crisis.”

Greenpeace has a copy of a Ministry for the Environment discussion paper dated 1990 that canvassed options for tackling climate change, including market mechanisms such as emissions pricing or an emissions trading scheme (ETS). Eighteen years on New Zealand has made little progress.

“This is irresponsible and embarrassing,” said Boxer. “Particularly as countries like the US start to put in place some very strong packages to address climate change and bring their emissions down.”

Greenpeace engaged in the first consultation process over the ETS and was part of the climate change leadership forum. “This current review is just fiddling while Rome burns.”

He said the last round of consultation had shown the true colour of big business in New Zealand. “The response by a number of our industries – many of whom will be economic liabilities in a low carbon global economy - was self interested, myopic and simply failed to see the economic, social and environmental opportunities inherent in the ETS.

“And the relatively small contribution the ETS will make to the overall effort required by New Zealand to make a credible contribution to tackling climate change is insufficient for Greenpeace to justify spending further time on it,” said Boxer.

“If our political leaders don’t act soon, future generations of New Zealanders are going to turn around and ask: ‘how could you have done nothing, when you knew what was at stake?’ There is no time left for delay.”

Greenpeace is calling on the Government to commit to a 30-40 per cent emission reduction target by 2020, to be signed at Copenhagen in December.


Notes to Editor

(1) “The important point is that there is flexibility built into the system so that if the science either firms up considerably more, or deteriorates, and the climate sceptics are right, we have the ability to alter the impact on our economy.” – “Man at the Helm” – page 7, Investigate Magazine, March 2009

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news