Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Improvements made to security at Mt Eden

For Immediate Release 21 February 2011
Improvements made to security at Mt Eden Corrections Facility

Improvements to the security of Mt Eden Corrections Facility (MECF) have been made following a joint review into an escape from the prison last year.

Both operational security, in terms of staff supervision and monitoring, and the physical security of the building infrastructure have been enhanced.

MECF is operated under contract by Serco. Department of Corrections Chief Executive Ray Smith and Serco Managing Director Paul Mahoney jointly commissioned a review after Prisoner Aaron Forden escaped from MECF in the early hours of Monday 10 October 2011. Mr Forden was recaptured on 17 October.

The review recommended a number of changes at MECF to improve the security of the facility. The Department and Serco have worked together to implement the recommendations.

“Ensuring public safety is the first priority for the Department and Serco, which is why we immediately commissioned a joint review after the escape last year. Following the incident, we worked together to quickly make key improvements to the prison’s security,” Department of Corrections Chief Executive Ray Smith said.

The Department of Corrections owns the Facility and closely monitors Serco’s operations and performance. The Department has maintained an on-site Prison Monitor at MECF since it opened to ensure compliance with the contract, and will continue to observe the improvements being made on-site.

A portion of the Department’s payment to Serco for the management of MECF is performance related and a range of standards must be met in order to receive the full amount. Under the terms of the contract, a $150,000 financial penalty can be levied for an escape and this amount will be deducted from the next quarterly performance-related payment.

“I have determined that it is appropriate to levy a financial penalty for this escape under the terms of the contract. The Department remains committed to the partnership with Serco and drawing on the many positive and innovative aspects of their international prison operations,” Mr Smith said.

Background
Only three prisoners have escaped from New Zealand Corrections Facilities in the past year (including Forden).

More information on the management of MECF by Serco under contract is available on the Department of Corrections website at this link:

http://www.corrections.govt.nz/news-and-publications/contract_management_of_prisons_project.html

The review documents cannot be released as they contain information that could compromise the security of the Corrections Facility and put the safety of staff at risk.
ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Greek Riddles:
Gordon Campbell On The Recent Smackdown Over Greece

There had been a fortnight of fevered buildup. Yet here we are in the aftermath of the February 28 showdown between the new Syriza government in Greece and the European Union “troika” and… no-one seems entirely sure what happened. Did the asteroid miss Earth?

It seems to have. The EU still exists. Syriza is now claiming a victory of sorts. It doesn’t help that the only people who do appear to be sure (the Greeks buckled) are claiming the exact opposite to what the other group (the Greeks won!) are saying. Plus, there are bets either way e.g. Bloomberg News: “Its too early to say who caved in to whom.” More>>

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Joint Statement: Australia-New Zealand Leaders’ Meeting

Prime Minister Key warmly welcomed Prime Minister Abbott and Mrs Abbott to New Zealand. The visit has enabled wide-ranging and substantive discussion that has underlined the strength, value, diversity and warmth of our trans-Tasman relationship. More>>

ALSO:

Press Conference: Peters To Stand In Northland By-Election

New Zealand First Leader Winston Peters has announced his intention to stand in the Northland by-election, citing his own links to the electorate and ongoing neglect of the region by central government. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Wage Hike For MPs (and Paul Robeson)

Hard to tell what is more infuriating. Is it the 5.3% increase on the already bloated salaries of MPs, or their pantomime of outrage at being gifted with such a wonderful back-dated bonanza? More>>

ALSO:

No Designers Or Visual Artists: Flag Panel Members Announced

The Government has appointed 12 New Zealanders as members of the Flag Consideration Panel which will engage with the public about a possible new New Zealand flag, Deputy Prime Minister Bill English says. More>>

ALSO:

Labour MP Stands Down From Portfolio: Comment From Carmel Sepuloni

The first I knew of my mother’s charges was when I was called by a reporter yesterday. I spoke to Andrew and we agreed there is a conflict of interest at the present time which means I will temporarily stand aside from the Social Development portfolio. It’s the right thing to do… . More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Whether NZ Troops Are The Least Of Islamic State’s Problems

Given that it has been politically packaged and sold as a training mission, the Iraq deployment announced yesterday by Prime Minister John Key seemed to be mysteriously short of actual trainers... The other wing of the argument is whether a troop deployment is (a) the only effective way and (b) the appropriate time to combat Islamic State. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news