Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Government welfare onslaught begins


AUCKLAND ACTION AGAINST POVERTY
Media Release Monday 27 February 2012

Government welfare onslaught begins

The Government is clearly committed to a wrecking ball approach to welfare says AAAP spokesperson Sue Bradford.

“Today’s announcement on welfare leaves no doubt Paula Bennett and John Key are set on forging ahead with the nasty piece of work handed to it by Paula Rebstock’s Welfare Working Group in February last year.

“Paula Bennett says she believes that most people can and will work.

“But neither she nor the Government seems able to understand a couple of very basic things about work.

“The first is that there has to be jobs to go to before people can get paid work.

“The next is that bringing up children on your own is very important work in its own right.


“This programme undermines beneficiary parents, penalises their children, and treats young beneficiaries as incompetent fools.

“The first round of changes will see some sole parents and partners of beneficiaries required to go to work when their babies are one year old.

“If this mindless and cruel programme is implemented we could easily end up in a situation where sole parents with babies, the sick, the injured and the disabled end up being harassed by Work & Income into jobs, while other people lose theirs in a zero sum game from which no one benefits.

“We have to assume the real reason for this level of harassment is to increase competition for low paid jobs and drive down wages.

“Today’s changes also see the very few 16 and 17 year olds on benefits treated as if they have no capacity to look after themselves, with their income to be managed by the State or an external service provider.

“This demeaning treatment will do nothing to build the capability and resilience of these vulnerable young people, but it will be a nice little money earner for some community and private providers.”

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news