Royal Commission on the Pike River - Update March 28
Royal Commission on the Pike River Coal Mine Tragedy
~ March 28, 2012 ~
Final hearings start on Monday
The Commission will sit for its final hearings next week.
Monday 2 April to Wednesday 4 April has been set aside for the final submissions hearings at the Greymouth District Court, Greymouth.
The Commission has received 37 final submissions from participants examining factual and/or policy aspects being addressed by the Commission.
No witnesses will be called, but representatives of 15 participants will have the opportunity to speak to, and highlight aspects of, their submissions and to respond to the views of others.
Almost 14 hours of time has been set aside to hear final submissions.
The Commission will sit from 9.30am to 5.00pm. The hearings are scheduled to finish by 1.00pm Wednesday 4 April.
The participant, their representative and time allocation is set out below.
• NZ Police, Simon Moore SC, 1 hour
• NZ Mines Rescue Service, Garth Gallaway, 45 minutes
• Department of Labour, Department of Conservation, Ministry of Economic Development, Ministry for the Environment, Kristy MacDonald, 2.5 hours
• McConnell Dowell Constructors Limited, Grant Nicholson, 30 minutes
• The Coal Association of NZ (incl.Straterra Inc),
• Tony King, 30 minutes
• Solid Energy NZ Limited, Craig Stevens, 1 hour
• NZ Council of Trade Unions, Ross Wilson, 30 minutes
• NZ Amalgamated Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union, Nigel Hampton QC, 1 hour
• Neville Rockhouse, James Rapley, 20 minutes
• The Families, Nicholas Davidson QC, 2.5 hours
• Douglas White, John Haigh QC, 45 minutes
• Certain Directors, Officers and Managers of Pike River Coal Limited, Stacey Shortall, 2.5 hours
Once the final hearings are complete, the Commission will continue its work examining matters relating to Phase Four: Policy Aspects and considering the issues raised in its terms of reference.
It is due to report to the Governor General by 28 September 2012.
~ Key Dates
Monday 2 April – Wednesday 4 April
Final hearings in Greymouth
By 28 September 2012
Commission due to report to the Governor General
~ Forward to a friend
Know someone who might be interested in the email? Why not forward this email to them
If you do not wish to receive email updates from us, unsubscribe now.