Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Stand Up questions govt’s priorities for youth unemployment

17 April 2012

Stand Up questions government’s priorities for youth unemployment

CTU youth sector Stand Up is disappointed at the government's call to ‘narrow’ the funding for the Work’n It Out programme that has successfully moved youth unemployment figures into single digits in South Otago.

Stand Up spokesperson James Sleep says “this is not the time to be cutting back on schemes that are working. The proportion of 15-24 year olds not in employment, education or training in December 2011 had risen to 13.1 percent from 12.4 percent September 2011. The Work’n It Out programme has been instrumental in reversing this trend for the South Otago region and should be looked to as a blueprint for other regions rather than being scaled down.”

Sleep says the news this morning that the government’s new plan for youth services will mean that the programme may have to drop most of its current clients or even have to close is disappointing.

“In contrast, six-week long limited service volunteer camps are continuing to be funded by an annual grant from MSD to the tune of $5000 per person. 2892 people have been through the programmes nationwide since 2010, and while a third of them have gone on to further training, less than one in five have since found paid work.”

"It’s a question of priorities. Boot camps have cost taxpayers over $15 million with little actual proof that the one off, 6 week boot camp has any long term employment benefits for those who participate. That is money that could be used towards schemes that are proven to work and don't demean young people as boot camps do." concludes Sleep.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news