Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Response to Govt position on Waitangi Tribunal Report

Maori Council Response to Government's position on Waitangi Tribunal report

There will be a meeting of prominent Maori leaders representing New Zealand Maori Council, the Maori King, Claimants, and Iwi tomorrow at which the Government's announcement on the so-called shares plus will be fully discussed and a response agreed in principle. NZMC seek to give a considered response that has been agreed to by those working on this issue. It must be then discussed with the wider constituency.

“This is clearly a disappointing, if unsurprising, announcement from the Government," said Sir Edward Taihakurei Durie, co-chair of NZMC.

“The Government appears determined to push this matter into the Courts. That's not the right way for this case to be resolved. That is why the NZMC has been doing all we can to keep this case out of the Courts.”

“The right way to resolve this issue is around the negotiating table. The Prime Minister has previously said exactly that himself," said Sir Edward.

“The Government will not talk to the New Zealand Maori Council. It will not talk to the pan-Maori group set up by the Maori King. It only offered to meet with a few groups, which Government itself selected and then refused to discuss the main issues with them.”

“The decision announced by the Government today makes it clear that it does not understand this issue and has not understood the Waitangi Tribunal's decision.”

“It does appear that this matter is destined for the Courts, not because that outcome is desired by New Zealand Maori Council, but because the Government is refusing to progress resolution of the central issue – residual Maori proprietary rights.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news