Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Call to action to combat gender discrimination

6 December 2012

Media Release
Call to action to combat gender discrimination

“Discrimination against women in New Zealand will be tackled by working groups set up to review and help drive change in several priority areas,” National Council of Women of New Zealand (NCWNZ) President Barbara Arnold said today.

Barbara Arnold was commenting on the development of an action plan designed to address key areas identified by the UN committee monitoring the Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) following its meeting in New York in July this year.

“Although the Committee recognises that New Zealand has been a world leader in achieving equality for women in many sectors, it is concerned about the current situation particularly in justice, health, employment and welfare," Barbara Arnold said.

“The Committee has asked the Government to take action on a number of issues including the gender pay gap; restrictions on abortion under New Zealand law; the low rate of women’s participation on boards and in other leadership roles; the lack of an action plan for New Zealand women; the low level of paid parental leave entitlements compared to other developed countries; and neglect of issues faced by ethnic women.

“Last month NCWNZ organised a seminar in Wellington which brought together organisations from the NGO sector to establish working groups as part of an action plan to ensure the Committee’s recommendations are implemented. Our role is to ensure that appropriate steps are taken to tackle the persistent inequalities that exist in New Zealand.

“NCWNZ is keen to hear from other groups and individuals who are interested in being involved in this process,” said Barbara Arnold.
ENDS

Notes:
• Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) is an international treaty and rights based framework which was adopted in 1979 as one of the six primary international documents for the protection and promotion of human rights.
• New Zealand ratified the convention in 1985.
• The New Zealand Government presented its seventh report to the CEDAW committee in July 2012.
• NCWNZ co-ordinated the Aotearoa New Zealand Non-Governmental Organisations Report to the CEDAW committee and presented this report in July 2012.
• Organisations represented at the NCWNZ Seminar include: ALRANZ, Business and Professional Women New Zealand, Girl Guiding New Zealand, NZ Federation of Graduate Women, NZ Federation of Women's Institutes, Presbyterian Women Aotearoa New Zealand, Rural Women New Zealand, The Salvation Army, UN Women, Women in Leadership Aotearoa, Women's Refuge and Zonta International.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news