Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Ports Of Auckland Fined $40,000 For Illegal Actions

Ports Of Auckland Fined $40,000 For Illegal Actions Against Its Workforce

Maritime Union of New Zealand media release FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Thursday

13 December 2012

The Employment Relations Authority has fined the Ports of Auckland $40,000 for illegally employing strike breaking contractors during industrial action at the Port earlier this year.

Ports of Auckland Limited (POAL) broke the law when they employed an overseas engineer at the cost of $10,000 a week to undertake the work of MUNZ members.

In addition, local contractors were illegally used to carry out engineering work at the Port.

At the time when the multiple breaches of the Employment Relations Act took place in February and March 2012, MUNZ members were on strike and locked out in their battle to stop management contracting out their jobs.

In her decision released yesterday, Employment Relations Authority Member Anna Fitzgibbon said “It is my view that POAL was aware of s97 [editorial note: Section 97 of the Employment Relations Act regarding the Performance of duties of striking or locked out workers] but in order to keep the port operating during the strike, made calculated decisions to breach the provision.”

In deciding the breach of the Act was deliberate and serious, she imposed penalties totalling $40,000 against POAL.

Maritime Union of New Zealand National President Garry Parsloe says the ERA decision places POAL management in an untenable position.

"Instead of focussing on settling a fair collective agreement, the Port embarked on an unprincipled plan to sack their entire stevedoring workforce and replace them with contracted labour."

He says that now in addition to all the costs of the dispute, Auckland ratepayers are continuing to pay for POAL management's deliberately unlawful actions.

"Ultimately the costs of POAL’s actions impact on the return to the people of Auckland."

Mr Parsloe says this week at the Auckland Council Accountability and Performance Committee, the so-called Council Controlled Organisation Auckland Council Investments Ltd (ACIL) indicated that they were not responsible for monitoring the costs of the dispute.

"Someone must hold POAL to account for the costs of this dispute. Who is responsible?"

Despite continual legal findings against them, POAL management are continuing (with the support of the Board) to try to remove employment security from port workers, including by demanding a collective agreement that removes all certainty of rostering and even the current guarantee of every third weekend off.

This dispute has gone on for too long and has cost too much, it is time for POAL to settle a fair and balanced collective agreement with us, says Mr Parsloe.

He says MUNZ members at the Port simply want to have an agreement that provides job security, not sign an agreement that allows their jobs to be contracted out.

"We need an agreement that provides increased flexibility while providing security and certainty to our members to enable them to have time with their family and to work in a safe manner. It is time for the madness to stop and for the Port to be run by a management that values its workforce. Heads must roll – deliberate illegal actions by management compel a firm response from the Board and from the Council."

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news