Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Home detention for stun gun lipstick importer

21 December 2012
Home detention for stun gun lipstick importer
When Customs officers opened a package of lipstick containers at the International Mail Centre, they found illegal stun guns instead of lipstick. As a result, a 41 year-old sickness beneficiary has been sentenced to four month’s home detention by the Waihi District Court on Wednesday.

Jonathan Norris of Waihi faced six charges for importing stun guns prohibited under the Customs and Excise Act, and three charges for importing restricted weapons under the Arms Act.

Norris also faced three charges laid by NZ Police for the possession of drug paraphernalia and cannabis. The judge looked at all matters in totality for the final sentence.

Customs Manager Investigations Shane Panettiere says Customs works closely with the NZ Police and actively investigates and prosecutes offenders when it is in the public interest to do so.

In July, Customs officers at the International Mail Centre in Auckland intercepted a package sent to Norris from China that contained three stun gun devices disguised to give the appearance of lipstick containers. Subsequent search warrants by Customs and Police in Waihi identified Norris as the importer of the package.

Norris was also found to have imported six other stun guns and six pepper sprays between September 2011 and June 2012. Some pepper spray devices resembling lipstick containers, which had been ordered by Norris, were also found by Customs officers during search of a third party address.

“Prohibited or restricted weapons such as stun guns and pepper sprays are often disguised to give the appearance of another article, but our officers are well aware of what to look for,” Mr Panettiere said.

In September this year, 49 year old Auckland man Paul Barber was sentenced to one month’s home detention for importing and possessing nine stun guns. Several of these stun guns looked like torches, and another looked like a cell phone.

There are a number of other Customs prosecutions relating to similar goods that are currently before the courts.

Around 200 stun guns and pepper sprays have been seized by Customs this year, some leading to arrests and prosecutions by both Customs and NZ Police.

-ends-

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Post-Cabinet Presser: EQC Reform, Greece & Surplus Stimulation

Prime Minister John key discussed proposals for reform of the EQC act and the Greek economic crisis at a press conference in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

GCSB/NZSIS: Intelligence And Security Reviewers Seek Public’s Views

“We are seeking public submissions to help us determine what issues to focus on during the review,” says Sir Michael Cullen. “We want to hear your views on what the GCSB and NZSIS should be doing to protect New Zealand and how they should do it.” More>>

Education: Schools Funded To Trial Innovative Approaches

Education Minister Hekia Parata has announced the successful applicants for a new $10 million fund to encourage innovative teaching practices. “I’m delighted with the quality of the 39 projects that have won funding in the first round of the Teacher-led Innovation Fund worth a total of about $2.6 million,” says Ms Parata. More>>

ALSO:

Generation Zero: Skypath Granted Resource Consent

Generation Zero is delighted and relieved that the ‘Skypath’ walking and cycling addition to the Harbour Bridge has been granted resource consent. More>>

ALSO:

Housing: Two New Auckland Special Housing Areas

Two new greenfield Special Housing Areas (SHAs) that will provide up to 1800 new homes in Auckland have been announced today by Building and Housing Minister Dr Nick Smith and Mayor Len Brown. More>>

ALSO:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
More RSS  RSS
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news