Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Who’s Telling Porkies Paula?

Who’s Telling Porkies Paula?

John Tamihere has launched another stinging attack on Social Development Minister Paula Bennett and her officials claiming her – or them – were not truthful about transitioning whanau from Waipareira’s Family Start Programme.

Tamihere said Court of Appeal documents supplied to Waipareira by MSD lawyers proved the ministry approved providers were not ready to take on board Waipareira’s 260 Family Start families. Waipareira were told new providers would take over whanau from February 1, 2013, but documents tendered to the Appeal Court by the MSD show they only signed off contracts with some providers on February 8, 2013 and what’s more alarmingly is a full and complete service would not be operating out west until April 1, 2013.

“You do not have a service for my people to be transitioned into,” Tamihere wrote in an email to Paula Bennett on Wednesday.

“It is clear either you or your officials are not telling the truth.

“You have the knowledge that 260 families are knowingly without a service from 1st February, 2013 to the 1st April, 2013.

“You have knowingly endorsed that these families will fall between the cracks.”

Last week, the Waipareira boss put the Minister – who just arrived home today from the US where she spoke about the Family Start programme - on notice that he would hold her personally responsible if any harm or abuse happened to the families previously cared for by the Trust.

Waipareira Trust Board chairperson Josie Smith said some families from the Waipareira programme who had been getting the Early Learning payment (ELP) subsidy would no longer receive that. “Many families will have that funding cut,” Josie said.



“This is not about Waipareira but has always been about the whanau.”

The ELP contributed towards early childhood education for children aged 18 months to three years. Josie said those whanau should not be penalised because they were with a Maori provider. Last year, the High Court upheld the decision by MSD to end Waipareira’s $1.5m Family Start contract.

Te Whanau O Waipareira is appealing the MSD termination in the Appeal Court.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

SCOOP COVERAGE: CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUES TERROR ATTACK


Child 'Uplifts': Children’s Commissioner To Conduct Review

The Children’s Commissioner has announced that his Office will be carrying out a thematic review of Oranga Tamariki’s policies, processes and practice relating to care and protection issues for tamariki Māori aged 0-3 months.

“At the time of the attempted uplift from Hawke’s Bay Maternity Hospital at the beginning of May, our Office shared our views on the critical importance of the mother-child relationship, and the fact that this relationship is denied to too many Māori children”, says the Children’s Commissioner, Judge Andrew Becroft. More>>

 

Fluro Logo, Definitely Not Racism, Activist Judges: Act Has Conference

“Finally, New Zealanders will have the right to challenge bad laws in court. If the courts find that a law hasn’t been made in accordance with the basic principles of good lawmaking, it can be declared invalid." More>>

ALSO:

Money Found: Revised Offer For Teachers And Principals

PPTA and NZEI have recommended that revised offers from the Government to their members are ratified, Education Minister Chris Hipkins has announced. More>>

ALSO:

Discussion Doc: National's Primary Sector Plans

Today National has released our third discussion document, this one on the primary sector. It showcases our positive and innovative approach to what is the backbone of our economy, Leader of the National Party Simon Bridges says. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The War Purposes Of Our Massive Defence Spend-Up

If you’re willing to believe Defence Minister Ron Mark, our defence forces will be operating in future like a high-tech version of Oxfam. Yes, we’re going to be spending $20 billion on Defence in the years out until 2030, but allegedly… “Much of the spend has been driven by climate change.” More>>

ALSO:

AND:

Govt Adopts Working Group Plan: Unions Welcome Film Industry Collective Bargaining

The announcement today by the Minister for Workplace Relations and Safety Iain Lees-Galloway, to support collective bargaining for those working in the film and screen industry, is welcomed. More>>

ALSO:

Greenpeace: New Oil Rig Arrives

A drill rig commissioned by oil giant OMV has arrived in New Zealand, a little over a year after the Government issued a ban on new oil and gas exploration permits... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels