Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Who’s Telling Porkies Paula?

Who’s Telling Porkies Paula?

John Tamihere has launched another stinging attack on Social Development Minister Paula Bennett and her officials claiming her – or them – were not truthful about transitioning whanau from Waipareira’s Family Start Programme.

Tamihere said Court of Appeal documents supplied to Waipareira by MSD lawyers proved the ministry approved providers were not ready to take on board Waipareira’s 260 Family Start families. Waipareira were told new providers would take over whanau from February 1, 2013, but documents tendered to the Appeal Court by the MSD show they only signed off contracts with some providers on February 8, 2013 and what’s more alarmingly is a full and complete service would not be operating out west until April 1, 2013.

“You do not have a service for my people to be transitioned into,” Tamihere wrote in an email to Paula Bennett on Wednesday.

“It is clear either you or your officials are not telling the truth.

“You have the knowledge that 260 families are knowingly without a service from 1st February, 2013 to the 1st April, 2013.

“You have knowingly endorsed that these families will fall between the cracks.”

Last week, the Waipareira boss put the Minister – who just arrived home today from the US where she spoke about the Family Start programme - on notice that he would hold her personally responsible if any harm or abuse happened to the families previously cared for by the Trust.

Waipareira Trust Board chairperson Josie Smith said some families from the Waipareira programme who had been getting the Early Learning payment (ELP) subsidy would no longer receive that. “Many families will have that funding cut,” Josie said.

“This is not about Waipareira but has always been about the whanau.”

The ELP contributed towards early childhood education for children aged 18 months to three years. Josie said those whanau should not be penalised because they were with a Maori provider. Last year, the High Court upheld the decision by MSD to end Waipareira’s $1.5m Family Start contract.

Te Whanau O Waipareira is appealing the MSD termination in the Appeal Court.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news