Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Earthquake strengthening consultation paper "alarmist "

Ministry’s earthquake strengthening consultation paper alarmist and misleading

Proposals released by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment in December 2012 on the earthquake strengthening of existing buildings, used a test of ‘earthquake prone’ building which is much more severe than defined in law, leading to the incorrect conclusion that there are 15,000 to 25,000 earthquake prone buildings in New Zealand likely to collapse in a moderate earthquake.

“In fact very few buildings are likely to collapse in a moderate earthquake” said Ian Harrison, Principal at tailrisk economics and author of a research paper examining the government proposals released today.

Some councils are currently using the test to designate earthquake prone buildings, causing building owners to incur substantial unnecessary costs. It is likely that most of their designations would not survive a legal challenge.

“Also”, Harrison said, “the proposals will save only 0.25 lives a year at a cost of over $4 billion. If this money was put into road safety it could possibly save over 20 lives a year”.

Harrison’s paper focuses on the cost benefit analysis of the proposal, starting with the Ministry expert’s own analysis which shows the costs are 50 times the benefits. Harrison found the cost benefit ratio for earthquake strengthening in Auckland to be 1762. For the proposals to be beneficial to society the costs need to be less than the benefits.

Harrison’s paper recommends the government scrap the current proposals and develop earthquake strengthening standards and policies which are based on sound, transparent and disinterested analysis. He also recommends councils withdraw earthquake prone classifications which are not based on the legal definition of earthquake prone.

Link to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employments proposals document: www.dbh.govt.nz/consultingon-epbp-consultation-document

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news