Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


Introduction of Youth Rates Won’t Be Taken Lying Down

Media release: FIRST Union
Wednesday May 1, 2013           
 
‘Opportunist’ Introduction of Youth Rates Won’t Be Taken Lying Down
 
As the government’s new youth pay law comes into effect today, a large group of Auckland supermarket workers are taking action to prevent a wage cut through youth rates being introduced in their stores.
 
At 9.30am today FIRST Union members from Pak n Save Royal Oak are stopping work and will meet with workers from five other Pak n Save supermarkets, and from Foodstuffs’ two Auckland distribution centres, to plan their response to increasing employer hostility in pay talks.
 
From today employers can cut by 20% the minimum wage for 16 and 17 year olds, and 18 and 19 year olds who have been on a benefit for 6 months.
 
Today’s stop work follows the breakdown of pay talks in a number of Foodstuffs supermarkets.  A noisy picket will take place outside Pak n Save Royal Oak this morning.
 
“We have been bargaining with Pak n Save Royal Oak since September last year,” said Maxine Gay, Retail Secretary for FIRST Union.
 
“In all these months they have offered no payrise, and are trying their hardest to bring in youth rates.”
 
“Pak n Save and New World businesses are doing well.  They operated extremely profitably before the extended youth rates law came in today.  They are simply chasing an opportunity to get away with paying young workers less in order to make even greater profits.”
 
“Workers are fed up with the antics of Foodstuffs.  Across their supermarkets and distribution centre businesses they are acting in concert to strip down wages and conditions to the lowest level possible.”
 
Maxine Gay said workers would meet this morning to plan their next response.  She said that the meeting was the first time that workers from both the retail and distribution side of the business had come together in this way. 
 
“This reflects the growing anger among workers about the poverty wages the company pay,” she said.
 
Maxine Gay said Foodstuffs was isolating itself as a low wage employer of adults as well as young people among retain chains. 
 
Several other large chains have confirmed they will not be using the new youth rates law.  These include supermarket competitor Countdown, and other retail chains such as The Warehouse, Farmers, Kmart and Bunnings.  A similar confirmation has also been given by Restaurant Brands, operators of KFC and Pizza Hutt, Starbucks and some Carl’s Jr stores.
 
ENDS
 

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Life And ACC Work Of Sir Owen Woodhouse

With the death of Sir Owen Woodhouse, the founding father of the Accident Compensation Scheme, New Zealand has lost one of the titans of its post-war social policy.

In its original incarnation in the early 1970s, ACC had been a globally innovative “no fault” scheme whereby accident victims surrendered their right to sue those responsible – on the understanding that they would receive compensation at a level that, as Woodhouse famously stated, would be sufficient to enable accident victims to fully participate in social life... More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Bad Transnationals: Rio Tinto Wins 2013 Roger Award

It won the 2011 Roger Award and was runner up in 2012, 2009 and 08. One 2013 nomination said simply and in its entirety: “Blackmailing country”... More>>

ALSO:

Select Committees: Tobacco Plain Packaging Hearings

The Stroke Foundation is today backing the Cancer Society and Smokefree Coalition who are making oral submissions to the Health Select Committee in support of proposed legislation to remove of all branding from tobacco products. More>>

ALSO:

Milk: Oravida Asked For Cabinet Help

New evidence released by New Zealand First today reveals Justice Minister Judith Collins used her position to manipulate the Government to help her husband’s company, Oravida, after the Fonterra botulism scare, says New Zealand First Leader Rt Hon Winston Peters. More>>

ALSO:

With Conditions: Ruataniwha Consents Approved In Draft Decision

The Tukituki Catchment Proposal Board of Inquiry has granted 17 resource consents relating to the $265 million Ruataniwha Water Storage Scheme in a draft decision that would open more of the Hawke’s Bay to irrigation. More>>

ALSO:

Fast Lanes, Campervans: Labour 'Making The Holidays Easier For Kiwi Drivers'

The next Labour Government will make the holidays easier and journeys quicker for Kiwi families driving on the roads, says Labour Leader David Cunliffe. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Royalty And Its Tourism Spin-Offs

Ultimately the Queen’s longevity has been one of her most significant accomplishments. A transition to Prince Charles while the monarchy was in the pits of public esteem in the mid to late 1990s would have been disastrous for the Royal Firm. Far more congenial representatives have now emerged... More>>

ALSO:

Privacy (Again): ACC Demands Excessive Privacy Waivers

Labour: “This is just another example of ACC under National deliberately acting to deny treatment and compensation... Those who did fill in the form have effectively been victims of yet another ACC privacy breach. This time Judith Collins knew it was happening..." More>>

ALSO:

IPCC: Many Pathways To Substantial Emissions Reductions Available

A new report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) shows that global emissions of greenhouse gases have risen to unprecedented levels despite a growing number of policies to reduce climate change. Emissions grew more quickly between 2000 and 2010 than in each of the three previous decades. More>>

ALSO:

Bowels: Green Light From Labour For Cancer Screening Programme

Labour Leader David Cunliffe has today committed to a national bowel screening programme, starting with extending the current service to the Southern and Waikato districts. More>>

ALSO:

Dotcom Speaks To Mana AGM: Negotiations With The Internet Party To COntinue

The MANA AGM decided unanimously to continue negotiaitions with the Internet Party. Within a month further negotiations, further consultation with MANA branches and a final decision on whether to proceed with a relationship is expected. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news